Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Heavy bleeding and period like pain after 4 weeks of continuous combined HRT  (Read 801 times)

HarvestMoon

Hiya, I'm looking for some advice/ reassurance really, as I've searched the internet etc and think what's happening may be "normal"...but I'm not sure..
I started on Estrogel and Utrogestan just over 4 weeks ago as a continuous no bleed regime. Initially started on 2 pumps of the gel at night and 1 capsule vaginally on alternate nights (with agreement from my GP). My sleep didn't improve and I was still waking up with hot sweats, so increased it to 3 pumps, 1 in the morning and 2 in the evening.
Last Sunday, I started light bleeding which has lasted all week. I'm still waking 2 to 3 times a night and today the bleeding has become heavy with period like cramps .. I'm considering increasing to 4 pumps as still waking 2 to 3 times
and with sweats.

Please could I have some advice? I'd appreciate any offered

Dotty

Hi were you period free before you started the HRT?

4 weeks is a short time to be on hrt and you should stay on the same dose for at least 4-6 weeks before increasing the dose.

Using the utrogestan every other night could be the cause of the bleeding.

The advice is that HRT can take up to 3 months to take full effect so it's early days for you yet .

Bleeding can be expected in the first 6 months of taking hrt. If you can give us a few more details about your age and where you are in menopause we will be able to give you some more advice. X

HarvestMoon

Dotty, sorry I should have said. I was just over 10 months period free when I started HRT and I'm 53 years old. I switched to every other night vaginally for the Utrogestan, as I'd read on Louise Newson's website that it was safe to do so and GP agreed. I turned into the bitch from hell taking it orally every day, but I'm now considering switching back ...
Thanks for replying
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:42:09 PM by HarvestMoon »

HarvestMoon

Hi Stella and thanks for the reply. I'm really struggling at the moment to find information online to help me, so appreciate your help.
I'm thinking of nightly vaginal Utrogestan and 3 pumps of Estrogel, one in the morning and two in the evening. I know that this is not the right place for medical advice, but in your experience, do you think that sounds reasonable?