Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: G8 Summit + C-19  (Read 3553 times)

jaypo

Re: G8 Summit + C-19
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2021, 01:23:21 PM »

Yep,true,I'd not buy an electric car either,simply because of the lack of chargers. The joke is,our country is so tiny,that us,on our own,would never make an impact,watched the news and India is horrific with the coal usage,an area practically the size of the U.K was all coal and the fumes going into the air,omg,so until these countries do something,this poor planet is doomed

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2021, 06:14:24 PM »

China opens 10 new coal powered plants every week!  Interesting that Brazil, China, Russia haven't travelled to COPs.

The World is reliant on China.  That won't stop - probably ever.   :-\ .  a) because people don't realise how reliant we are.  b) because people want to 'buy cheap.  c) because people won't buy products that could be made in the UK ............

jaypo

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2021, 06:53:25 PM »

Yep,Greta can clack her jaws at Europe but it's the huge nations that need talking to  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2021, 08:09:26 PM »

And interesting that the 'president' ? of Oz didn't want to travel this far but was apparently, 'persuaded'.  :-\

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2021, 06:37:39 PM »

Yep,Greta can clack her jaws at Europe but it's the huge nations that need talking to  >:(

Quite right. You look at the tiny UK on a map and then at countries like India and China who cause all the pollution.

Everybody I know tries to do their best by recycling etc.   all our old clothes go to charity and the dreadful raggy ones get used as rags.  All our veg peelings go to my friend’s chickens and goats.  She gets all our empty egg boxes too. 

We don’t have a woodburner as they are supposed to be about the worst thing for causing pollution, although we got close to buying one a few years ago.  I take a large bag on walks quite often and pick up litter.  All our glass bottles go to a neighbour for her WI friends who make decorated lamps from them. Our jars all go to another friend who makes pickles and jams which she sells for charity.

We have solar panels, double glazing, cavity wall and roof insulation.  I use my bike rather than getting car out if I have to go on local errands.  I have never been on a long haul flight and my first time on a plane was aged 40! 

I hate to see the rivers in India (on TV) hardly able to flow as they are so choked with waste.  It totally disgusts me and I have no idea why anybody would choose to holiday in places like this. 

I think all we can do is our small efforts  and these massive countries which pollute should hang their heads in shame.

jaypo

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2021, 08:10:40 PM »

Well done pennyfarthing,we can only do what we do,I know youngsters mean well but what if WE told THEM,right,no more mobile phones,laptops etc as they have plastic components and harmful batteries,wonder how keen some of them would be then?

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2021, 09:30:23 AM »

Go on I dare any of you to make the suggestion  ;D

As with getting foods to the table, most have no idea how industry works.  What goes in and where items are sourced from.  As well as cheap labour in China and India.

Wood burners are absolutely fine, don't take any notice of the hype around them.  What the Government has stopped is the use of wood bought from service stations etc..  It has to be kiln dried to be sure that it hasn't been treated so there are no 'nasties' to get into the atmosphere.  Wood burners are 85% more efficient than losing heat up an open chimney, with air being drawn across the floor causing a draught.  A better way would be to have the draught pipes under the floor which go into the wood burner from behind. 

Our room gets up to 75 some nights  8) - that's a room 11 feet across and 19 feet long.  Ceiling height 11 feet.  In the Winter we put the oil heating on at 9.30 p.m. to warm the bedrooms.  Wood costs £250 a year for two loads from a local forest.

I wonder how many of those kids on the marches have thought about their trainers, their over all clothing, how often they get a lift in Mum's guzzler, what is in their gadgets  ;D

We watched Country File last night: Adam went from the Cotswolds to Devon in his guzzler  >:( and back ?

jaypo

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2021, 02:09:23 PM »

That's the thing clkd,they DONT see the bigger picture

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2021, 03:07:04 PM »

So Barack thinks it's OK to fly in - now that he can get back into the States as they have lifted the restrictions? cynical me thinks they did it for him  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]