Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: VitC - NHS advice  (Read 1589 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
VitC - NHS advice
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:40:48 AM »

One cannot store VitC in quantity.  The body excretes what it doesn't require.

How much vitamin C do I need?

Adults aged 19 to 64 need 40mg of vitamin C a day.

You should be able to get all the vitamin C you need from your daily diet.

Vitamin C can't be stored in the body, so you need it in your diet every day.

See the full government dietary recommendations (PDF, 148kb) for levels for children and older adults.

What happens if I take too much vitamin C?

Taking large amounts (more than 1,000mg per day) of vitamin C can cause:

stomach pain
diarrhoea
flatulence
These symptoms should disappear once you stop taking vitamin C supplements.

CLKD

Re: VitC - NHS advice
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »

Oral vitamin C produces tissue and plasma concentrations that the body tightly controls. Approximately 70%?90% of vitamin C is absorbed at moderate intakes of 30?180 mg/day. However, at doses above 1 g/day, absorption falls to less than 50% and absorbed, unmetabolized ascorbic acid is excreted in the urine [4].27 Feb 2020

Vitamin C ? Health Professional Fact Sheet

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 10:21:34 AM »

What prompted a thread on Vit C CLKD!? Ideally anything like this should be in "Other health" board and then science links etc can be put up.  :-\

Hurdity x

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 10:24:22 AM »

This is the advice I posted in the Corornavirus thread, on VitC.
The link directly below gives the full advice.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/03/18/coronavirus-covid-19/#respond

2: Vitamin C

Vitamins always cause massive controversy, and the mainstream medical community tends to be highly critical of the use of vitamins. However, vitamin C has been found to have many, many, positive impacts on the immune system. It also protects the endothelium lining blood vessels ? thus preventing/delaying passage of pathogens from the bloodstream.

I include the full abstract from the 2017 paper ?Vitamin C and Immune Function.? It contains a great deal of medical jargon, but I have highlighted the most important parts.

?Vitamin C contributes to immune defense by supporting various cellular functions of both the innate and adaptive immune system. Vitamin C supports epithelial barrier function against pathogens and promotes the oxidant scavenging activity of the skin, thereby potentially protecting against environmental oxidative stress.

Vitamin C accumulates in phagocytic cells, such as neutrophils, and can enhance chemotaxis, phagocytosis, generation of reactive oxygen species, and ultimately microbial killing. It is also needed for apoptosis and clearance of the spent neutrophils from sites of infection by macrophages, thereby decreasing necrosis/NETosis and potential tissue damage.

The role of vitamin C in lymphocytes is less clear, but it has been shown to enhance differentiation and proliferation of B- and T-cells, likely due to its gene regulating effects. Vitamin C deficiency results in impaired immunity and higher susceptibility to infections. In turn, infections significantly impact on vitamin C levels due to enhanced inflammation and metabolic requirements.

Furthermore, supplementation with vitamin C appears to be able to both prevent and treat respiratory and systemic infections. Prophylactic prevention of infection requires dietary vitamin C intakes that provide at least adequate, if not saturating plasma levels (i.e., 100?200 mg/day), which optimize cell and tissue levels. In contrast, treatment of established infections requires significantly higher (gram) doses of the vitamin to compensate for the increased inflammatory response and metabolic demand.? 2

In short, Vitamin C can help prevent respiratory infections. It can also help to treat established infections, although much higher doses are required. This seems to fit with emerging Chinese data which appears to be showing considerable success with high dose intravenous Vitamin C in treating coronavirus.

It is unlikely that anyone working in the medical system in the West will agree to using high dose Vitamin C as part of any management plan. However, if your loved one is extremely ill in hospital I would recommend speaking to the doctors and asking if this can be added.

Whilst it is possible that vitamin C may prove ineffective, it also does no harm. Those who are currently attacking the use of Vitamin C and attacking those who believe vitamin C may be beneficial are, I believe, mainly concerned with their personal reputations.

ADVICE: Take at least 2g of Vitamin daily C to ?prevent? infection, probably more like 5g. Increase the dose to at least 10g if you are suffering symptoms.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 07:42:54 PM »

At what strength does the body expel VitC, I can't find out  ::) - so much 4 info. out there  >:(.  Anything that causes 'the runs' should be avoided ?!?

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 08:55:18 PM »

Recommended intake is between 60 and 90mg so topping up another 10mg is not exactly overdosing.

Beware NHS info.  It's often very basic and not always up-to-date.  It's a good place to start but that's it.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 09:07:00 PM »

This was dated 2020 ;-) and why would the NHS not be up to date  :-\

When does the body expel excess VitC ..........

Sparrow

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 09:29:51 PM »

This was dated 2020 ;-) and why would the NHS not be up to date  :-\

When does the body expel excess VitC ..........

Because they are like an oil tanker on the high seas.  It takes them miles and miles to change direction.

My info is from the Mayo Clinic and Harvard University. If you are on a poor diet (many are) or ill, the chances are you will be deficient.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:35:06 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »

State-side? Sponsored by whom and peer reviewed when? 

The info I looked at yesterday morning was updated 2020 but menobrain here can't remember which month  ::)

My question needs an answer ........

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 09:31:36 AM »

As an aside to this thread Shadyglade, as you seem anti-NHS : if you require assistance from your GP or Hospital, do you query every thing they offer or do you accept treatment?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 03:03:30 PM »

Coronavirus: it's time to debunk claims that vitamin C could cure it
March 9, 2020 3.34pm GMT

Have a read of the above - I couldn't post the Link  ::).