Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting HRT during Covid Crisis?  (Read 2219 times)

KittyKats

Starting HRT during Covid Crisis?
« on: March 18, 2020, 11:27:54 AM »

Dear Ladies,

Is anyone else about to start HRT in this Covid crisis? I have been prescribed Estrogel and Utrogestan 100mg continuous regime.

I'm 50 and my periods abruptly stopped last June having been pretty regular before that. Since last October I have suffered horrid sweats which bring on irregular heartbeat/palpitations and bounding heart. Cardiologist has said HRT should assist in calming things down for me and make me less anxious.

I had a bit of difficulty sourcing the Estregel as there had been supply issues. Now I'm worried about Covid affecting supplies further in the next couple of months. I don't want to start something that I have to stop. I have been given three months supply. Gynaecologist and GP said that I need a review in three months to check fibroids but given the strain on the NHS will I even get an appointment!

Anyone else about to start? I'm feeling chicken in this crisis but suffering with this meno and do want to try it.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated  :)

x

Tallulah

Re: Starting HRT during Covid Crisis?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 11:36:58 AM »

Hiya, I started HRT 2 and a half weeks ago. I have 3 months supply like you. I decided just to start as we don't know how the CV will affect anything. I'm just hoping if I feel better on it then fingers crossed medication supplies won't be affected. And if it is, then when all of this goes back to normal, I know there is something that helps me and I will start again  :) it's of course up to you, but I'm trying to be positive and carrying on as normal as I can. Don't know if that helps you make your decision, but good luck x

KittyKats

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 03:03:53 PM »

Hi - thanks for your message. Yes it does help with my decision. I will be brave and start it. How are you getting on with it and is it Estrogel and Utrogestan like mine? Hope it's working for you.

x

Tallulah

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 07:41:18 PM »

Hi Kitty, yes same as you but I'm on a cycle not continuous with the Ustrogestan. Take gel all the time, 2 pumps then on day 15 I start ustrogestan for 12 days 200mg. I've not seen much difference yet, a bit more energy and some relief with muscle pain, particularly in my arm. But I've heard that for some it will take much longer to take affect.
I've had a few side effects with migraine and headaches, some light headedness, knee issue, so I'll see if this settles and might not be the hrt  ???
Let me know how you get on. There is lots of helpful people and info on here x

KittyKats

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 10:06:54 AM »

Hi -  This was my worry. The side effects without a GP in sight! Although I guess they would support us if we absolutely needed it. The UCL  gynaecologist said I can take the Utrogestan vaginally which is "off label" but completely safe. Have you tried this? Apparently there are fewer side effects. I still haven't started but will do in a few days. Wishing you all the best with it and hoping your side effects settle which I'm sure they will. It seems the bioidentical hormones we've been given are pretty safe. x

Tallulah

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 11:05:15 PM »

Hiya Kitty
I've not tried that though I am tempted. Reassuring to hear your gynaecologist has reccemended this,  as it's not what my Dr said and not in the guidance but I've heard a lot do this with reduced side effects. I'll try if you do  ;D ;D
Thanks Kitty. wishung you all the best too. Keep in touch  :)

KittyKats

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »

Hi Tallulah - my G.P said the same but I contacted Prof Creighton and she said it was ok to take it vaginally.

I've found this GP's videos very helpful for menopause. This one is about progesterone and at 7:53 she says about Utrogestan and vaginal application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT3aSVfjb20&t=444s

x

Tallulah

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 11:05:19 PM »

Hi KittyKats - thank you for the link. She explains things really well.
Have you started yet?
All the best x

KittyKats

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 09:18:09 AM »

Hi Tallulah,

How are you doing? Are you still taking the meds and did you try to take progesterone differently?

I haven't started yet as wanted to talk with my GP first. ;D  I've just had a telephone consultation with her and she was so reassuring. She said GPs are still available to help if there are any problems and if I felt I needed a review in a few weeks she was happy to arrange to see me for a physical check. She also said if there were ever serious side effects hospital care is still available.

I'm really suffering at the mo. Not sleeping well, hot flushes, palpitations,  extreme fatigue (can hardly exercise) and aches and pains! I will be brave and start am tomorrow.

Keep me posted with your progress. :)  x

jocrow

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 12:14:17 AM »

Hi KittyKats, I'm also starting HRT during the Covid crisis. (Sandrena + Utrogestan)
Glad you have a three month supply. 

I saw you posted a video by Dr Renee about vaginal application of Utrogestan - thanks very much, I watched it last night and she has a lot of really helpful info.  I like Dr Louise Newson's site too.

x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »

Hi -  This was my worry. The side effects without a GP in sight! Although I guess they would support us if we absolutely needed it. The UCL  gynaecologist said I can take the Utrogestan vaginally which is "off label" but completely safe. Have you tried this? Apparently there are fewer side effects. I still haven't started but will do in a few days. Wishing you all the best with it and hoping your side effects settle which I'm sure they will. It seems the bioidentical hormones we've been given are pretty safe. x

Hi KittyKats

Just to add that utrogestan is manufactured in France ( or maybe Belgium or both!) for oral or vaginal use for fertility and HRT. It's just in UK that its use for HRT is not licensed for vaginal use (but the same capsule is for fertility). I did a thread about this which I will also bump: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45782.msg738193.html#msg738193

Good luck to you and all trying it for the first time and using it this way. :) . I have only ever used it vaginally as I'm a nil by mouth gal when it comes to HRT.

Hurdity x

KittyKats

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 11:42:07 AM »

Thanks for the info Hurdity! I will check out the thread. I have Gilbert's Syndrome so my liver doesn't process drugs too well so it's best I bypass the oral route too!

jocrow have you started yet and if so is it helping? x

jocrow

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 12:21:37 PM »

i haven't started yet, I'm uncertain whether I can start it straight away or if I need to wait for my next period (I wrote a post about it last night)
x

KittyKats

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 02:56:52 PM »

Hi jocrow, if youb are UK based might be worth contacting your GP. I think most GPs are online now and you can ask them a question. My GP was very supportive about my HRT questions. Hope it goes well for you x

Tallulah

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 09:18:46 PM »

Hi KittyKatt
I haven't tried a different way yet, but think I will. Having more frequent migraines, not sure if it's related as I always get migraines just not as much or intense as they have been since on hrt.
Still only feeling mild improvement with symptoms before hrt. Definitely sleeping better :)
Sounds like you have a good GP 👍
Hope you get on well with it when you start. X
Pages: [1] 2