Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Venlafaxine 37.5mg  (Read 1760 times)

Poppy78

Venlafaxine 37.5mg
« on: March 17, 2020, 06:32:02 PM »

I'm on max HRT (Evorel 100, daily Utrogeston and Vagifem daily) and I'm still having issue with sleeping at night due to hot flushes. At my early menopause clinic appointment today the consultant advised me to start Venlafaxine 37.5mg as I am already on the maximum HRT dosage.

Is anyone taking Venlefaxine 37.5mg? Has it helped with hot flushes that are not controlled by HRT?

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Venlafaxine 37.5mg
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »

It can be Trial and Error.  Some ADs certainly do ease flushes.  Give it a whirl?  Let us know how you get on.  How was the appt. overall, supported?

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:44:51 PM »

Hello Poppy78

I was prescribed Venlafaxine some time ago to reduce night sweats and help with the meno in general. I came to realise that my night sweats were not as intense as some ladies but when I forgot to take it I definitely noticed an increase so I would say it does help.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Take care.

K.

Poppy78

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »

Thanks so much ladies. The appointment was good and she said there were two Options. Going to 125 Evorel or the ADs. She said an increase Evorel was least preferred as it is such a high dosage.

She really understood how badly I'm being affected and even gave me her work email address if I have specific questions.

I'm particularly worried about becoming addicted and any side affects? I'm generally someone who believes in modern medicine but like to know all sides.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 10:28:25 PM »

You can't become addicted per se but some ADs are difficult to stop due to bounce back anxiety  ::).  It took me 9 weeks to gradually wean off 1 type, can't remember which. 

Give it a whirl.  Quality of Life ........

'least preferred' means what exactly? If it wasn't safe it wouldn't be 125 ;-)

Sammiejane

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 11:28:52 PM »

hi

i think they mean safe because to much estrogen can put u at a higher increased risk of breast cancer blot clots etc even though it's transdermal x

rolercoasterhell

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 08:17:58 AM »

Venlaflaxine has the worst discontinuation syndrome of all the AD's. Just thought you'd like to be informed. Personally if you absolutely have to go on them then they are helpful but they can be a bugger to come off so only go on them if symptoms unbearable.

Research and learn and then make an informed decision.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 09:49:16 AM »

If you are still getting flushes on the 100 mcg then it is likely that this is insufficient irrespective of what the dosage says it is. Maybe you are not absorbing it, in which case it is not a high dose. Although blood tests are not recommended and docs should go by symptoms, in your case as you are apparently on a high dose patch but still getting flushes it would be a good idea I would suggest. Can you ask for a blood test? Get bloods taken about half-way through the patch period eg after a couple of days or 1 1/2 days, rather than just after a new one or just before patch change.

This would determine whether you are absorbing. Personally I would do this before even thinking about ADs - as these are not indicated for menopause symptoms and you still have flushes!!! Also some women find flushes are worse when taking progesterone so could be the daily use of this is contributing?

Are you in surgical menopause? Also did you say you were in early menopause too? if so even moree important that you have blood tests to tell whether you are absorbing because if you are not - you need the oestrogen so this needs adjusting before giving you drugs like ADs for symptoms!!

Also have you had other blood tests eg re thyroid function to determine whether flushes have another cause?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 09:52:36 AM »

I came off it without problems under supervision.  So do many others.  Because the symptoms of depression/anxiety come with dreadful effects B4 taking meds., it can bounce those effects as the person weans off.  Once I realised that the bounce back effect didn't last for longer than 24 hours: initially I lay thinking "I will have to go back on if these symptoms continue, this is why I began this medication" - it was able to relax and allow the withdrawal to happen.

I think I withdrew a dose every 3rd day for 3 days ........ it took 9 weeks anyway and the GP had access to very small doses prescribed purely for withdrawal.

Some ADs certainly do ease hot flushes. 

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »

Yes some ADs ease flushes but they are only indicated for this purpose in women who cannot take HRT eg those with breast cancer or who have had it etc. Getting HRT, as the first line of treatment, right, is the first thing to do and the doc should know this rather than sticking rigidly to some notion of maximum dosage without knowing how well it is being absorbed.

Hurdity x

Poppy78

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 10:52:19 AM »

Thank you all - I'm going through a not so natural rapid early meno so still need progesterone. I can't take it orally as it made me almost crazy.

I've used a private menopause GP 9 months ago when my initial wait for the early menopause clinic was nine months and I've luckily found she has an appointment tomorrow and will do bloods. She was the one who basically saved my life putting me on Evorel 100 and daily Vagifem when the GP refused so I really trust her.

I?ll let you all know what she advises.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 11:32:42 AM »

If you are very early menopause have you looked at the Daisy web-site?