Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PANTS - dog training  (Read 1641 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
PANTS - dog training
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »

He's a baby.  When puppies bite owners it's because they can.  In the litter of a well run breeder, pups bite and chew each other as well as their mother.  Who will growl or bark sharply.  When I get involved with puppies if they bite I bark loudly into their faces.  Makes them jump and sit back.  As soon as they start to move towards me, I repeat.  It might take 20 mins. but it usually works.

They do mouth and bite especially as teeth break.  Don't pull away if he gets hold of your hand, relax.  Pulling is a natural trigger to puppies particularly the terrier breeds.  So relaxing takes the excitement out of the attachment.

Do you have toys.  A roll of stuffed cotton socks to pull at.  Newspaper: everywhere.  A large wad near the door that you need him to go out of.  The bitch will clean the pup under the tail and as she house trains them will pick them and carry them from the 'nest' to an area well away.  It's a habit.  AS SOON as he has eaten lift him into the garden with lots of praise when he goes.  Eating triggers the gut reaction and in pups it ain't a very long process from gob to bum!!

I can't have pets.  They trigger anxiety  :'(

pants46

• Still Struggling
Re: PANTS - dog training
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »

Hey CLKD. Thanks.
I just need to get a bit more organised. And build a routine. Which is hard, as I don't have a routine for myself 😉
This is all very different to adopting a 6 year old rottweiler !!

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 12:04:32 PM »

Yep.  Glad you read.  Hope it helped.

Routine.  Being 1 step ahead of mine was the hardest thing.  But we got there after a few weeks.  She regressed at age 13 though  :'(.

Lots of newspapers.  Keep puppy to one room; do you have a stair gate?  Radio on when he is left, even I you are in the house.  The bitch would walk away occasionally to go eat etc..  I remember the first 4-6 weeks being the most difficult but they do learn.  Everything is new to a puppy and you are a great playmate with lots of soft skin to latch onto.  Those baby teeth are SO SHARP! 

A strange mix though  :-\.  What possessed you  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »

I was told not to try to stop it but to squeal like a dog would if they'd been hurt. That way they learn to be gentle. They're playing and just like small children they don't realise when they're being too rough.
And never buy a pup in February. I've done it twice but never again - shivering in snow waiting for them to go...  >:(

Tc

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 02:48:28 PM »

Pants you got a,dog  :)🐕

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 03:10:00 PM »

;D.  I fed the hedgehog and her baby when mine was a puppy and needed out at 2.30 a.m.  :D

The squeal certainly works for most puppies. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 03:15:41 PM »

Well done Pants. It?ll be the making of you.
Don't put too much pressure on yourself, just be consistent, it?ll all fit into place.
What breed is he/ she, and how old?
Wishing you the best of luck honey! ☺️ 🐶

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »

Oh, and he is an accidental JR, Corgi, Chihuahua cross. 9 weeks old today.

Terrier then.  Sharp.  For ratting so will be alert.  Corgi was bred to herd cattle by nipping ankles.  JRs go after rats, badgers, flies, feet, the ends of noses ....... chihuahua - also bred to get rodents in Mexico.  Should turn out a nice, healthy mix!  Not too large.  Easy to discipline with the end of a well aimed welly boot ;-).

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »

Long lead when out Pants.
Start your call back. Or else he?ll be off like the clappers.
Have fun. xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 08:14:49 PM »

I use a pony leading rein when training or walking deaf dogs.  That's those that are clinically deaf, not dog deaf  ;)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 08:19:12 PM »

Our dog is dog deaf! Only hears what she wants to hear, cocks a deaf en, just turns her head.
Very ignorant. 😂 mind you, she listens when I shout! 😆😂🤣 so does my OH. 🤣😂🤣

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 08:47:31 PM »

So is DD. Tell her to go to bed, she doesn't hear. Very quiet whisper would she like some chocolate - no way she's missing that.  ???

Tc

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 09:36:30 PM »

I took my aunts dog out in the countryside near her last summer. She gave me a whistle in case he ran off.  He did.  I blew the whistle and he didnt come but two other dogs did!!!😁

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 10:22:23 PM »

;D

Keep to single words too

Sit - obvious
Wait - obvious
Off - when you want a dog to get off furniture rather than
Down - which is when many owners expect their dog to lay flat

A kong is useful; filled with treats or peanut butter [messy] it can be used in the cage to keep pup busy

I always let pups off in a safe place at a few weeks old.  So that they are still reliant on me.  Treats to hand but not every time they return. 

Sleep tight ;-)

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 10:57:04 PM »

Brilliant TC   :rofl:      :scottie:
Pages: [1] 2