Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Any other self employed ladies?  (Read 3030 times)

Focus

Any other self employed ladies?
« on: March 16, 2020, 10:53:35 PM »

How are you?

I think I've just lost all my income until May/June at least.

July is a quiet month in my industry, and then August depends entirely on whether the Festival in Edinburgh happens. That would take me to September with potentially no income.

I feel sick.

Focus

Re: Any other self employed ladies?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 11:28:02 PM »

Thank you.

I hope you're OK.

Focus

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 11:47:36 PM »

:-[

Good Lord. What kind?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 11:55:02 PM »

Yes, we farm. Not concerned about income at the moment, most of it comes in autumn and nothing to sell until lambs in may/June. The biggest problem is looking after animals if we are ill. OH is liable to keep going til he ends up in hospital. Just hoping (probably a forlorn hope) we don't get it until the cows are out and lambing over.
Can you sign on as unemployed?

Focus

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 11:56:55 PM »

I don't think you can if you're self employed?

Tc

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 08:38:45 AM »

Everything cancelled during the last 2 days.  6 months work  gone in one fell swoop..and it's a family business. . :'(

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 12:56:56 PM »

This in the New Statesman today.

New Statesman Morning Call
By Stephen Bush, political editor

Good morning. The United Kingdom will go on near-lockdown for an indefinite period in response to covid-19. All Brits have been told to avoid non-essential social contact, while the over-70s, the pregnant and those with pre-existing conditions have been told to enter self-isolation.

This lucid and easy to read paper from Imperial College lays out the change in assumptions that saw the British government throw out its previous approach to fighting the crisis. But one thing hasn't changed: while the British government no longer believes that it is possible to flatten the outbreak's spread in a way that would maintain the ability of the NHS to fight the disease, the government's advisors still believe that suppressing the disease will require suppression measures that go on for months - perhaps for more than a year.

That means that a far bigger economic stimulus is required than the one unveiled by Rishi Sunak in his budget. Sunak sensibly didn't opt to create a new benefit but to expand the generosity of the old one - but he needs to go much further, both in reducing the wait time for universal credit, increasing statutory sick pay and providing support for all businesses, large and small.

The most alarming bit of British economic data to come out about this crisis so far is from Transport for London: while passenger numbers have fallen on both the bus and the Tube, they have fallen close to half as much on the bus as the Tube. That isn't because people who take the bus to work are more likely to be healthy than those who use the Tube - it's that you are more likely to be well-off if you use the Tube than the bus, and you are more likely to have the economic security to take time off or work from home.

The immediate challenge for Rishi Sunak when he announces further measures today is: has he done enough to guarantee that everyone who needs to stay home, does? And the longterm challenge is: has he done enough to keep the economy in cryogenic suspension while the country fight coronavirus? Denmark's level of financial aid to businesses and workers shows the right level of ambition, as does Emmanuel Macron's pledge that no business will be allowed to fail during the crisis. The British government's challenge is to show they can similarly rise to the moment.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »

Sorry didn't see this earlier:

I heard this week that the NHS is opening more creche places as the work force is required to back up the systems already over-worked within the Service.  If schools close they will need more staff so I did wonder: if anyone is closing their child care facility would it be worth checking with the local Hospital to see if they can go in to assist?  They will have the necessary Certificates and other checks that are now required.   

If the work place wasn't so computer based I too would be offering help but I was raised in the pen and ink system.  So I would be more of a hindrance than help  :-\

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 02:25:38 PM »

Yes, I'm a self employed gardener - since I work outside and have little contact with my clients, I'm hoping to keep going, but a couple of my clients are already twitchy about me coming round, since they are all in the very vulnerable category.  I couldn't survive for more than a couple of weeks with no income as I've been very limited in what I've earned so far this year due to my own health issues.  (And can't get any cover or support for that, since I'm still waiting for a diagnosis)

Not optimistic about my survival.

Barnacle

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »

DH and I are both self employed. Very worrying times ahead.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »

Think about whether your skill base could be useful in your area?

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 04:01:53 PM »

Oh Dorothy, I'm sorry. But I don't see why you can't carry on gardening, as clients do not need to get anywhere near you. They should stay in while you are working surely. Shame you don't live near me. I could do with help in the garden.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 05:28:41 PM »

You continue.  We are allowed to be out and about as long as we don't be in contact with others who might have the virus.  Otherwise we will all starve  :o

jaypo

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »

Yes,us too,thankfully our staff work outdoors most of the time but we had one customer call today saying his wife has MS and is one of the at risk group so,we've assured him we will be nowhere near and he's happy with that,thankfully we have work up until July but after that,who knows,although OH has two appointments tomorrow,phone still ringing with people wanting our services but that may stop in time,scary  :'(

Dorothy

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 06:50:16 PM »

Oh Dorothy, I'm sorry. But I don't see why you can't carry on gardening, as clients do not need to get anywhere near you. They should stay in while you are working surely. Shame you don't live near me. I could do with help in the garden.
Yes, I can keep going as long as a)the government don't close down all 'non essential' work as they have in Italy b)my clients are happy for me to come and c)I don't end up having to self isolate.  But all three of those are very real possibilities.  I'm amazed I haven't gone down with it so far, as I'm a sitting duck for any bug since being very poorly over Christmas - and my lungs haven't recovered from that yet!
Pages: [1] 2 3