Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: BHRT availability  (Read 619 times)

KarineT

BHRT availability
« on: March 16, 2020, 05:16:46 PM »

Hi everyone,

Do you know if BHRT is available cheaply?  I know it's not available on the NHS.  It seems it's only available in private clinics and it's not cheap at ?161 for a 3 months hormones supply.  But that's not all because there is also a consultation fee as well and you have to pay for various tests.

Thanks

Karine

Dandelion

Re: BHRT availability
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 06:06:10 PM »

Hi everyone,

Do you know if BHRT is available cheaply?  I know it's not available on the NHS.  It seems it's only available in private clinics and it's not cheap at ?161 for a 3 months hormones supply.  But that's not all because there is also a consultation fee as well and you have to pay for various tests.

Thanks

Karine
The natural progestin utrogestan is BHRT and, if I am not mistaken many oestradiol patches are also BHRT, having said that, with regards to the oestrogen, someone more knowledge may come along and correct me.
I know premarin is made from horse urine, and there maybe other synthetic estrogens but to the best of my knowledge, oestradiol patches and you suggested are both bhrt and are available on NHS although due to current shortages, many chemists are out of stock on the patches.

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 06:58:40 PM »

KarineT, welcome to MM.

Please read my thread on compounded hormones in the Alternatives section.   It's a lengthy thread but it covers most aspects of BHRT.  It's not cheap but it's been a real life saver for me.

I hope that helps.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 07:46:33 PM »

Hi Karine - there is a lot of confusion about BHRT.

Here is a recent statement by gynaecologist Dr Heather Currie founded and manager of this website:

Hope you don't mind me posting here, but I just wanted to clarify--the problem is the term "bio identical" which means different things to different people. There are genuine concerns about the use of compounded bio identical hormones, which are not recommended by myself, British Menopause Society, NICE nor International Menopause Society, but we do have preparations available on the NHS which closely mimic our own hormones and can be prescribed. An article which I wrote previously may be helpful-- https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pdf/article%20Bio%20identicals%202017.pdf
In addition, a statement from the BMS can be seen at https://thebms.org.uk/publications/consensus-statements/bioidentical-hrt/

I hope that this is helpful.
Best wishes, Heather

I suggest you read these links. You will find out that rBHRT(regulated, evidenced-based, NHS) is available on NHS at purely the cost of a prescrption charge ( or two!) and that cBHRT (compounded private) that Mary G is referring to is not recommended at all byt the medical and scientific menopause hierarchy, academics, societies etc

Any more questions - do ask!

All the best :)

Hurdity x