Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19

Author Topic: Stock Piling in panic  (Read 16880 times)

Two hoots

Re: Stock Piling in panic
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2020, 03:35:04 PM »

Exactly what I said CLKD.

My sons friend bought a bunch bananas, four in the bunch.
The checkout girl took one off him, said he could only have three! 😳

:rofl:

Katejo

« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2020, 03:49:19 PM »

Fresh fruit and veg is still noticeable by its absence everywhere. Managed to get some salad in a box but that was it today.

Ha ha Dorothy - my mum's kitchen used to be like that. She'd tell me never to buy the large size packets of anything even if they were on offer.
  Have been to Sainsbury's today. Ok for fruit and veg but still no loo rolls, eggs and tinned tomatoes, chick peas or baked beans.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2020, 03:51:04 PM »

Have you rung Boris to complain?  His minions at lunchtime told us there isn't a shortage  :-\

Sparrow

« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2020, 04:07:52 PM »

Have you rung Boris to complain?  His minions at lunchtime told us there isn't a shortage  :-\

Technically there isn't.  It just people are taking it off the shelves faster than they can be refilled.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2020, 04:09:58 PM »

just been reading that alcohol shelves have been stripped bare in some places since the pubs and restaurants closed last night. Crazy, crazy.

jaypo

« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2020, 04:12:58 PM »

Sorry,that was me  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2020, 05:50:29 PM »

I'll be right over  ;D

Part of the problem is, there isn't a good supply chain.  Drivers have to adhere to strict hours behind the wheel.  They have slots to queue up at warehouses to get the next load which are tightly controlled ......... if they are late or too early they simply don't get loaded.  I watch them in our area particularly Eddy Stobart ......... it's like a production line of lorries  ::).  Drivers' cab into the factory, checked and driven in to be filled then out the other side. 

Also some town areas have restrictions as to when they can deliver, to keep noise levels and disturbance down.  Something that the Government doesn't seem to realise. 

Sparrow

« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2020, 06:51:14 PM »

I thought the restrictions had been lifted??

CLKD

« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2020, 06:54:10 PM »

So I read this evening Shadyglade. I think that is dangerous to even consider.  Many drivers fall asleep at the wheel as it is - how are they going to over-ride their tachometers ........... it don't think that this crisis should put road users at risk!!   Jn15A M1 is often nose to tail after accidents  :'(

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »

it's purely down to greedy people.  We all know that shelves are stripped bare as soon as they are restocked.  I was talking to a Manager in Lidl yesterday and he said this is what's happening.  They, like most supermarkets, have now put limits of what people can buy but it should have started much earlier.  I guess nobody thought that people would be so greedy and selfish.

CLKD

« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2020, 07:38:04 PM »

Cynical me says that they knew full well and made their profits! 

yellowflower

« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2020, 08:05:40 PM »

If our experience in Australia is anything to go by, the panic buying will calm down. It did require restrictions and some regulation changes. The travel bans along with restrictions hot rid of the main offenders (chinese).

Yes, some people can be selfish to the point of criminality.  I have been reading a lot of Australian news reports on this, as you seem to have experienced it first.  I haven't seen any mentioning Chinese in particular though. ???

They never mention the chinese issue for fear of being labelled racist. Prior to covid-19, they had daigou's hoarding our baby formula. The buses going into our country towns are organized buses full of chinese. The only way I can describe what they do is like a plague of locusts. Some of the rural supermarkets have now banned them and ID is required to prove you live in the area. They seem devoid of human compassion.

Sparrow

« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2020, 08:10:11 PM »

If our experience in Australia is anything to go by, the panic buying will calm down. It did require restrictions and some regulation changes. The travel bans along with restrictions hot rid of the main offenders (chinese).

Yes, some people can be selfish to the point of criminality.  I have been reading a lot of Australian news reports on this, as you seem to have experienced it first.  I haven't seen any mentioning Chinese in particular though. ???

They never mention the chinese issue for fear of being labelled racist. Prior to covid-19, they had daigou's hoarding our baby formula. The buses going into our country towns are organized buses full of chinese. The only way I can describe what they do is like a plague of locusts. Some of the rural supermarkets have now banned them and ID is required to prove you live in the area. They seem devoid of human compassion.

But didn't your PM stop flights in from China, right at the beginning of February??

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2020, 08:11:38 PM »

I've heard that one elderly couple went into a supermarket, both got trolleys, went their separate ways, filled them with the maximum amount allowed of available groceries another elderly couple go into their supermarket every day and stock up. There have been other stories of this happening by the elderly. Now supermarkets are having special shopping hours for elderly yet some don't deserve it. Mixing elderly/vulnerable/NHS workers together is asking for trouble. I can't even get the basics I need for myself & family, I do one shop a week as nearest supermarket is 10 miles away, I have not done any stock piling as I don't agree with it. So I'm getting upset as I can't get stuff, yet I get no help! Sorry rant over.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2020, 08:38:30 PM »

I've heard that one elderly couple went into a supermarket, both got trolleys, went their separate ways, filled them with the maximum amount allowed of available groceries another elderly couple go into their supermarket every day and stock up. There have been other stories of this happening by the elderly. Now supermarkets are having special shopping hours for elderly yet some don't deserve it. Mixing elderly/vulnerable/NHS workers together is asking for trouble. I can't even get the basics I need for myself & family, I do one shop a week as nearest supermarket is 10 miles away, I have not done any stock piling as I don't agree with it. So I'm getting upset as I can't get stuff, yet I get no help! Sorry rant over.

Human behaviour is very bizarre isn't it?  That nurse who was crying on TV .... I can't make that out either.  She reckoned she had just finished a 48 hour shift.  My friend retired a year ago having been a nurse all her life and for the last 10 years was a Modern Matron.  She says she has never worked a 48 hour shift and doesn't know anybody else who has.   it is still grossly unfair that when this nurse finished her shift (however long it was) there was no food left. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19