Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Stock Piling in panic  (Read 16881 times)

Sparrow

Re: Stock Piling in panic
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2020, 04:44:18 PM »

I did pretty well in several shops yesterday.  But I did buy two loaves instead of one so we have a spare in the freezer.

Does that count as stockpiling?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »

I would call that thinking ahead ;-)

Our village shop is shutting earlier than normal, the Staff are knackered!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2020, 07:28:27 PM »

I got basmati rice today (finally), baked beans and UHT skimmed milk.  All at Lidl.

all our suppliers have sold out of freezers and can't get enough lap tops to sell.  We had 4 phone calls from people today asking for second hand freezers 'to keep fishing bait in?.  Yeah right!  ;D ;D
Hubby doesn't have any but wouldn't sell them on principle.

littleminnie

« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2020, 07:54:32 PM »

Printers and exercise equipment are selling out too

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2020, 07:55:21 PM »

I managed to get my almond milk today, but it's only got a date of the 24th but it's only almonds & water! My local butchers apparently had a queue out of the door today, I expect a lot of them couldn't get meat at the supermarket so decide to visit butcher, which they've never stepped into before, when really they should be supporting local business.

Dorothy

« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2020, 10:51:43 PM »

;D yes,never did I think I'd get so excited by a bag of rice
I got a bag of pasta today - it made me realise how much my priorities have changed when I found myself hugging it  ;D

Don't like to think how excited I will be if I ever find loo roll...I'm currently eyeing up my bookshelves, trying to work out which volume will need to be sacrificed first.  :o

yellowflower

« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2020, 11:32:50 PM »

If our experience in Australia is anything to go by, the panic buying will calm down. It did require restrictions and some regulation changes. The travel bans along with restrictions hot rid of the main offenders (chinese).

Ju Ju

« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2020, 11:49:40 PM »

Juju I think they should have slots Online only for the elderly and infirm,most people can either walk or drive for their shopping,I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to implement,maybe worth writing to these places? I think I will,I feel so so sad,that the elderly are forgotten about ,like they?re a drain on society almost,ish I could do more to help

Good news re my very old parents not getting an online delivery slot. They got an email from Sainsbury's apologising as not only are they old and vulnerable, but are also paying upfront for deliveries yearly, so they should been prioritised anyway. So problem solved without me having to email Sainsbury's. Phew! They will have to struggle to carry the shopping through to the kitchen though as no one can come in. Normally delivery men carry it through. That will exhaust them. Mum with her walker and dad having broken the top of his femur last year. They both shuffle. Life shouldn't be so hard for them, but there's nothing anyone can do. They are better off in their own home together than in a home particularly now.

jaypo

« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2020, 09:56:08 AM »

Oh juju,great news,Sainsbury's seem on the ball,I got an email back from them too,explaining it all,so pleased your folks will hopefully get all they need :)
Dorothy,I didn't even get any funny looks in Waitrose when I said I love you to said bag of rice  ;D ;D

Sparrow

« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2020, 10:22:24 AM »

If our experience in Australia is anything to go by, the panic buying will calm down. It did require restrictions and some regulation changes. The travel bans along with restrictions hot rid of the main offenders (chinese).

Yes, some people can be selfish to the point of criminality.  I have been reading a lot of Australian news reports on this, as you seem to have experienced it first.  I haven't seen any mentioning Chinese in particular though. ???

CLKD

« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2020, 10:41:22 AM »

How are people affording it all!

Would you parents' neighbours help carry in if your parents stayed in another room?  Worth asking I would think.

I've got the daily newspaper without a magazine  >:(

Sparrow

« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2020, 02:10:34 PM »

We are lucky where we are as being a rural area there are plenty of well stocked farm shops.  They also tend to sell other food stuff as well.

Just popped into a village butchers to get some beef for tomorrow.  Got the beef plus cheese, flour, pasta rice and a couple of lemons.

Oh, as I was paying I was asked if I needed any toilet rolls.  Amazing.

CLKD

« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »

SHUSSSSHHHHH  ;D - our butcher sold 30 chickens on Tuesday, none left  ::). Wonder how many were regulars?

They are talking about how Supermarkets are taking steps to prevent stock piling - well that's 2 weeks too late then.  And what about supermarkets that have been over-ruled by bullies? and those who joined the queues of the over 70s?  How will they know if the shoppers are key workers?

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »

Exactly what I said CLKD.

My sons friend bought a bunch bananas, four in the bunch.
The checkout girl took one off him, said he could only have three! 😳

CLKD

« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »

Toilet roll alternatives blocking sewers

Did people get guilty and try to dispose of their bulk buying all at once  :-\

What was his response ?  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19