Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: Stock Piling in panic  (Read 16889 times)

jaypo

Re: Stock Piling in panic
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2020, 08:01:40 PM »

I keep getting emails from the big supermarkets assuring me there's plenty food for everyone   :o

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2020, 08:06:14 PM »

I've had those as well, and there would be if everyone didn't keep buying the maximum allowed. I'm wondering why in my local big town when there are 4 supermarkets why they are full - I have a theory are people getting the maximum one day & going back the next to get more?!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2020, 08:08:10 PM »

How are they affording to buy it all?  Where are they storing it? How much will be chucked without being used??   >:(. Perhaps some will hand it over to care homes. ?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2020, 08:19:27 PM »

Freezers are now sold out everywhere!

A few days ago my Aunt in Scotland  said you couldn't buy one in her town and today my OH spoke to two huge suppliers (he is in the trade) and neither have any left.  People have been buying extra freezers to store stuff in.  He was also told that lap top sales are through the roof. 

jaypo

« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »

More fool them  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2020, 08:38:09 PM »

So will electric supplies suffer with all these freezers? 

Best for large stores to shut for 3 days.  Then people will have to begin doing with their supplies what they bought them for? 'cos sure as eggs be eggs, I suspect a lot of food stuffs will be wasted.  Can anyone smell bread being made with all that flour, sugar, yeast removed from shelves  :-\

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2020, 08:46:01 PM »

My hubby has just been reading our local FB page apparently an 80yr old lady who usually buys a 24 pack of loo roll to last her a month, when she had her Asda delivery she had ordered 24 packs of 24 loo rolls! This is not the first story I've heard about the elderly stockpiling either.
There is little me just buying what I need for the week ahead, as I don't have huge amounts of storage/fridge/freezer space. Luckily my local butchers has plenty of eggs and meat which I go to regularly & a fab deli which is also well stocked with gorgeous bread/rolls/cakes and all the savoury things as well.

CLKD

« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2020, 08:47:28 PM »

Black mark for Asda if they delivered it!  It should be like a bank - any untoward action on your order should be queried  ;D

jaypo

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »

Oh Stella that did make me and OH laugh  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2020, 09:01:01 PM »

She normally uses 24 loo rolls in a month??? Sounds like me when I've had curry.
In her 80s my mother decided to try online shopping. She ended up with the kitchen full of cornflakes. She hadn't realised they started with her last order and added to it so every time she bought more and more. Of course it was all their fault not hers. Perhaps the lady thought she was buying 24 individual loo rolls.

CLKD

« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2020, 09:06:00 PM »

mayB he can use the light bulb when he's cutting the newspaper into squares ? 

Ju Ju

« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2020, 12:16:52 AM »

My very old parents shop on line every week with Sainsbury's, but they were  unable to get a slot. I did ring and warn them to put an order in quickly, but obviously I wasn't taken seriously. They cannot go to the shops, as they are frail. Fortunately, their neighbours have stepped in to get their shopping. I thought they were going to prioritise the old and vulnerable. Mum was very upset. She doesn't want to be a burden on neighbours who have their burdens to bear. I told mum that the neighbours would be very upset if they weren't asked. it's worrying though.

My DD put her weekly order to Tesco's, but was successful in getting a slot. However, no meat at all. She relies on meat for protein as she is allergic to dairy and eggs, so she will have take a trip to the nearest town which is nearly ten miles away and trawl the supermarkets.

I'm sure there is enough food, BUT! It will be interesting to see how much of my list I will get. I managed to find slots for the next three weeks. It was hard work as the web sites were on go slow.

yellowflower

« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2020, 05:58:32 AM »

How are they affording to buy it all?  Where are they storing it? How much will be chucked without being used??   >:(. Perhaps some will hand it over to care homes. ?

In Australia, it is the Chinese doing most of the stockpiling. They even organise buses to go to the regional supermarkets (some of these areas are recovering from bushfires) and clean them out. We now have strict limits in most things and the daigou's have mostly disappeared. Prior to covid-19, they were raiding our baby formula to sell at a massive profit online in China.

jaypo

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2020, 07:39:56 AM »

Blimey,poor Australia,fires,now this :'(
Going to Sainsbury's today,wish me luck  :-\

yellowflower

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2020, 09:12:46 AM »

Blimey,poor Australia,fires,now this :'(
Going to Sainsbury's today,wish me luck  :-\

That panic buying has almost stopped. Lots of new laws and regulations have been put in place. Also a lot less chinese people here due to the ban on Iinternational arrivals as of 9pm tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19