Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: Stock Piling in panic  (Read 16853 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Stock Piling in panic
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2020, 09:39:10 AM »

Maybe Boots don't have protective gloves?  Didn't anyone ask  :-\ nope because we are British  ::)

I may go to the shops today, which are limiting the numbers of people inside at any one time.  Don't forget to wipe tins etc. down when you get them home THEN wash your hands!

Many years ago we bought sacks of rice from the local Indian shop - we didn't go very often, about 3/4 times a year.  One morning DH lifted a sack of rice but the lady said "Oh you don't have that one, the is what you usually buy.  You never know who has handled that other rice"  ;D

Lanzalover

« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »

Our Asda hasn't had toilet rolls for weeks !!!!

Lanzalover x
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:51:35 AM by Lanzalover »

jaypo

« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2020, 12:12:22 PM »

Suit of armour Stella?galloping into Tesco on a white charger? ;D
Yep,once a week here too,in out as quickly as humanly possible

CLKD

« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2020, 01:05:39 PM »

I need space  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2020, 04:09:12 PM »

Go to the butcher or farm shops where possible as they have direct supplies from breeders.  The farms said at lunchtime that it's the supply chain to the supermarket that *has* broken down regardless of what Boris - who lives in London - keeps trying to tell the public.

sheila99

« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2020, 04:37:53 PM »

I don't think the supply chain to the supermarkets has broken down. The problem seems to be that businesses/institutions/restaurants are 50% of the market and the supermarkets the other 50%. Now the supermarkets are selling much more as restaurants etc have closed but the food sold to the trade isn't packed for supermarkets as it's in bulk.
OH went to buy eggs today from the farm who normally supplies us (they sell to the trade). They've barricaded the gate as every man and his dog is coming out of the city trying to buy them.

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2020, 05:26:23 PM »

Our butchers rear there own beef near me and they are running really low, but hubby was able to get chicken fillets as I had brought a whole chicken in Morrisons in case butchers didn't have any! So many people are using the butchers who've never set in there before.
At least Morrisons had toilet rolls so I was happy, got some more flour seeing as they had some & tinned tomatoes. But queue for checkouts was 20 mins long & the guy behine me had no idea of social distancing >:(

Barnacle

« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2020, 05:56:55 PM »

Glad to hear that you managed to get some loo rolls, Yorkshire Girl.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2020, 08:00:40 PM »

Did U not kick backwards YG?  I will be doing so if anyone invades my space!!! I'll be on the News yet  :D

ElkWarning

« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »

Go to the butcher or farm shops where possible as they have direct supplies from breeders.  The farms said at lunchtime that it's the supply chain to the supermarket that *has* broken down regardless of what Boris - who lives in London - keeps trying to tell the public.

You do know we're not meant to be leaving town, right?

Sparrow

« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2020, 06:56:20 AM »

You are right stellajane.  It all depends on what you have locally.  If you live in a town there is more choice and it's easier, but for those in the country you have to travel anyway, just to get to any shop.  Rural poverty is ignored at the best of times but it is even more of a problem at times like this.

We are lucky as our local farm shop is a non fussy non organic one, so not expensive at all.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:09:05 AM by Shadyglade »

jaypo

« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2020, 08:57:33 AM »

Email from Sainsbury's today,they are now limiting the amount of people who enter their stores,so be prepared to queue

CLKD

« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2020, 09:59:26 AM »

ElkWarning - I'm OK I don't live in a town  :-\ hence the NEED to go shopping.

Stores should have been limiting the number of people in and out weeks ago. 

I don't see how, if one isn't using a vehicle to travel from shop to shop [even discounted shops] it works out more expensive to shop locally  :-\.  Vehicle wear and tear plus fuel is a HUGE amount each week.  Times of cheap food is fast disappearing so people over all will be healthier as there won't be so much rubbish avialble.  Our farm shops and chicken processing factory are busier than even prior to C.mas: and how much of that will go into landfill  >:(

Off to source root veg and grapes this morning ......... I may be some time  8)

CLKD

« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2020, 12:31:09 PM »

Back.  We had a bit of a trek via the various main line supermarkets in our nearest town - 4 miles away.  Queus in the carparks so we drove back home.  Went straight into the village shop who have everything except chocolate milk, a chatty attitude and time to make conversation  :-*.  Our freezer is already stocked with meat and I will add a loaf of bread later now that I've made beans on toast.  Apparently the mains have plenty of stock including loo rolls.  They were allowing between 5 and 20 people in at any one time.

So I have stockpiled again  :D

sheila99

« Reply #239 on: March 26, 2020, 01:26:26 PM »

Small shops are always more expensive, they have to be as they don't have the turnover. Within a couple of miles I have a small co-op and sainsbury local, both noticeable more expensive than the aldi 5 miles away. For a big shop it's worth the travelling.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19