Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Aspirin and menopausal migraines  (Read 1492 times)

kdee69

Aspirin and menopausal migraines
« on: March 14, 2020, 06:39:15 AM »

Has anyone taken aspirin every day as a preventative for migraines? Specifically those related to menopause?
I asked my doctor yesterday and she replied with a -Would not hurt to try-  response (which has pretty much been her response to everything I have suggested re menopause 🙄)

There is no reason medically I am in any group that should not take aspirin but I would love to hear from anyone who does and where it has worked or not.

Up to one week ago I was till getting a full blown migraine 4/7 days and it is causing no end of mental hell. I was popping triptans way too often. 
In the US recently I purchased some 375 mg aspirin and have been taking one twice daily. I Know I am going to regret even typing this, but I have not had a migraine for a 6 days. ( for those who suffer this daily hell you will know how life changing that can be)
I suppose the issue is knowing what is ok strength wise to take. My doctor sadly was clueless.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 06:41:48 AM by kdee69 »

Bobidy

Re: Aspirin and menopausal migraines
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 08:39:43 AM »

Hi

Please be careful with aspirin as it can effect your stomach, same with ibruprofen etc. Paracetamol is gentler. Try to take with food or after eating.

Here's a podcast about migraines in Menopause that you may find interesting https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/s1e6-migraines-menopsue-with-gp-menopause-expert-dr-sarah-ball

shrosphirelass

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 12:29:06 PM »

I have hormonal headaches and recently have been having almost daily headaches which vary in severity from uncomfortable background up to can't function at all. The GP prescribed tripans, but he also suggested trying taking 3 aspiins at the start of an episode (instead of tripans). He didn't suggest them as an ongogoing preventative treatment. As my headaches are ongoing its hard to know when or if to take them or tripans as I don't know what the satrt of an episode is.

He was concerned about medication rebound so I don't think he would have recommended aspirins or any other analgesic on an on-going basis. He suggested I try beta blockers or low does anatripliine as a preventaive if my new conti HRT doesn't help.

I am desperate with mine, so will try anything. My dr suggested the ongoing headaches may be aggraveated by neck issues. I had a physio appointment at the start of the week and she said I had probems with my top verterbrates and gave me various advice and exercises to do. The headaches have eased off a bit 4 days on so I'm hoping that my bad posture was at least part of my issue. Have you considered this kdee?

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »

Hi Shropshire Lass

Have you considered that the headaches may be because you've gone on a new conti regime?  I only ask cos I seem to have developed the same thing myself (although it's more background) and it's coincided with starting a conti regime x

kdee69

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 01:33:09 PM »

I agree with bobidy,aspirin is harsh on the stomach,drs prescribe it for heart patients who take it every day(different strength from on the shelf aspirin) but for other people it isn't recommended,you can take paracetamol alongside ibuprofen,they work well together but always take with food,ask your pharmacist  :)
Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, Paracetamol and ibuprofen do not touch my migraines. These are another level of pain altogether 😒

kdee69

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »

I have hormonal headaches and recently have been having almost daily headaches which vary in severity from uncomfortable background up to can't function at all. The GP prescribed tripans, but he also suggested trying taking 3 aspiins at the start of an episode (instead of tripans). He didn't suggest them as an ongogoing preventative treatment. As my headaches are ongoing its hard to know when or if to take them or tripans as I don't know what the satrt of an episode is.

He was concerned about medication rebound so I don't think he would have recommended aspirins or any other analgesic on an on-going basis. He suggested I try beta blockers or low does anatripliine as a preventaive if my new conti HRT doesn't help.

I am desperate with mine, so will try anything. My dr suggested the ongoing headaches may be aggraveated by neck issues. I had a physio appointment at the start of the week and she said I had probems with my top verterbrates and gave me various advice and exercises to do. The headaches have eased off a bit 4 days on so I'm hoping that my bad posture was at least part of my issue. Have you considered this kdee?

Hi there. I have had beta blockers, topiramate, physio, acupuncture and chiropractic treatment over the last five years. It wasn't until I made the connection between my hormones and my migraines that I even realised they could be linked to the peri and now meno.
As I have now moved from peri to meno, they have worsened. Progesterone definitely exacerbates them and I know from talking to Louise Newson that I'm on the best combo in oestrogel and progesterone but I also know that it's a time thing. When I start to moving through to light at the other side hormone wise( I can't articulate that well I'm afraid) then the migraines should reduce and get better and potentially stop. I never had headaches before entering peri let alone migraines.
Interestingly, I've managed to reduce my oestrogel dose to one pump daily and I feel a lot better migraine wise so this could also be a factor as well as the aspirins.
I also am coping physically and emotionally well on one pump. I did try and reduce to 1/2 a pump and I started to feel so anxious and paranoid. I haven't really had anxiety before so it was a real shock for me. Upping back to one pump seems to have sorted that.
As an aside, I posted this early doors this morning and lo and behold I can feel a migraine starting to take hold. I knew it was the kiss of death!
Thanks for all who are replying.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 07:25:03 PM »

Hi Shropshire Lass

Have you considered that the headaches may be because you've gone on a new conti regime?  I only ask cos I seem to have developed the same thing myself (although it's more background) and it's coincided with starting a conti regime x

Hya Perinowpost. I went on conti because of the headaches, as thought that the fluctuations in sequi regime were making them worse. Ive only just switched over so hard to tell yet. The other thing to consider is whether the headaches are a side effect of the HRT. For me I don't think they are as they have only recenly ramped up and Ive been on HRT for 20 months. WHat HRT are you on and have you tried a different type

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 07:31:22 PM »

Sorry to hear that kdee,have you asked about the migraine tablet,sorry,for the life of me I can't recall it's name,you only get the one tablet at a time and it's expensive,you've to fill out a form for it at the pharmacy,sorry,can't be of more help but I'm sure if you asked your pharmacist,he/she would know what it was x

I think you mean tripans, which have different brand names one of which is sumatriptan. This is a prescription based medicine, but my friends mum does as you say and fills out a form at the chemist, without a prescription.

Perinowpost

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 08:40:05 PM »

Hi Shropshire Lass

I'm on evorel 50 patches and a private prog (50mg).  I struggled with utrogestan and was sick of having periods/withdrawal bleeds so  wanted to try a conti regime to avoid this.  I seem to have developed a background headache, it's on and off though not all the time. I know continuous prog can cause this, so will monitor it for the time being and see how i go.  Wishing you well x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 07:15:55 PM »

Perinowpost Let us know how you get on. I'm always looking for options re helping with my headaches.

kdee69

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 08:29:04 PM »

Perinowpost Let us know how you get on. I'm always looking for options re helping with my headaches.

Well I had a shocker begin to start again on Saturday and I took an aspirin and it went. It has now been 9 days which is unheard of for me without a triptan! I'm going to keep monitoring

shrosphirelass

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 08:43:02 PM »

Hopefully it remains like that! Are you taking them every day or as and when you need them?

kdee69

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 10:52:24 PM »

Hopefully it remains like that! Are you taking them every day or as and when you need them?
Hi
So I was taking them every day and have now moved to take only when I feel a twinge ( if you get migraines you?ll know what your own twinges are-mine is either the left eye brow pain or a pain across the bridge of my nose). The migraine does start to progress but within two hours the aspirin has kicked in and stopped it. There has only been one day out of nine where ive managed without but I honestly feel liberated from taking triptans. Who knows, maybe this will be short term reprieve but for now, I?ll take that!!!