Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Checking in, and hopefully to get some advice  (Read 1317 times)

Love46

Checking in, and hopefully to get some advice
« on: March 12, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »

Hello!

New to the group, and have been having menopausal symptoms for the past year I guess (I'm 46) - ANGER (almost homicidal, its a wonder my family have survived this long), horrible brain fog, hot flashes, anxiety, headaches, mood swings, insomnia, weired numbness.... the list goes on.

It all came to a head over Christmas as I started to have panic attacks when I left the house. I had been forcing myself to cope for quite a while, thinking that things would get better/settle down on their own...but the panic attacks were the last straw - I thought I was having a heart attack and I was only trying to walk the dogs.... ::) I felt like I was losing my mind....

So, my family ordered me to go to the Drs to try and get some help. The GP was very sympathetic, and offered me either antidepressants or HRT to try and help with some of the symptoms. I know I am not depressed, although it does look like that sometimes, so I started HRT - Femostan 2/10 to be precise .

I had high hopes, I was really hoping that this would help me be less mad, be able to concentrate, cope with daily life and not have panic attacks when walking the dogs, and not want to kill my family.....

Unfortunately that has not happened. I will admit, I have not had any panic attacks, and very few hot flashes since starting the meds, but apart from that not much has changed. To add to the misery (bit dramatic, but accurate) I have what I think is an allergy rash all up my arms, a constant cough, and feel quite breathless (I am asthamtic), dizzy, and sick...In short I feel like shite.  :'(

From everything I have read, you are supposed to try each type of HRT for 3 months to feel the full effects, I am now in the 3rd month of Femostan, and am really struggling - I cant remember the last time I had a good nights sleep.

Can anyone tell me if there is a magic moment after 3 months of taking HRT when everything falls into place? Or am I struggling through this for no reason....

Also, what are peoples experience of GPs treating menopause symptoms - am I better off asking for a referral to a menopause clinic???

Any advice really appreciated - thanks in advance :)

sheila99

Re: Checking in, and hopefully to get some advice
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 02:28:01 PM »

If this might be an allergic reaction to it I would stop taking it and get to the gp ASAP. There are others you can try, the first one may not be the best for you. I developed an allergic reaction to evorel after 3/4 months but the rash was only under the patch. Over your arms and breathless is rather more worrying. For me symptoms reduced gradually, the anxiety and insomnia took 3 months. Not convinced my brain is 100% even now but is much better than it was. Mood swings have gone, switched between ranting and crying but not homocidal. If you are having an allergic reaction to femostan it isn't surprising it isn't working too well.

Perinowpost

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 02:54:59 PM »

Hi Love46

I would also ditch it and try something else. Although received wisdom is to stick with it 3 months, I never did if it made me feel terrible I ditched it straight away. I had my biggest success with evorel which made me feel better immediately.  Oestrogen gel is also supposed to be very good. If I were you I'd definitely ask to try something else, wishing you well x

Love46

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »

Thanks for your responses. I went to the GP last night and have changed to estrogel plus utrogestan - fingers crossed  :)

p.s the GP had wanted me to try FemSeven sequi patches - but after contacting 5 different pharmacies, the message was that no one will be re-stocked unitl Dec 2020! :hotflash:

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »

Good luck Love46

:welcomemm:

Jdxx

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 02:54:09 PM »

It's eloped with the toilet rolls...

Vixter

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 05:50:40 AM »

Hello!

New to the group, and have been having menopausal symptoms for the past year I guess (I'm 46) - ANGER (almost homicidal, its a wonder my family have survived this long), horrible brain fog, hot flashes, anxiety, headaches, mood swings, insomnia, weired numbness.... the list goes on.

It all came to a head over Christmas as I started to have panic attacks when I left the house. I had been forcing myself to cope for quite a while, thinking that things would get better/settle down on their own...but the panic attacks were the last straw - I thought I was having a heart attack and I was only trying to walk the dogs.... ::) I felt like I was losing my mind....

So, my family ordered me to go to the Drs to try and get some help. The GP was very sympathetic, and offered me either antidepressants or HRT to try and help with some of the symptoms. I know I am not depressed, although it does look like that sometimes, so I started HRT - Femostan 2/10 to be precise .

I had high hopes, I was really hoping that this would help me be less mad, be able to concentrate, cope with daily life and not have panic attacks when walking the dogs, and not want to kill my family.....

Unfortunately that has not happened. I will admit, I have not had any panic attacks, and very few hot flashes since starting the meds, but apart from that not much has changed. To add to the misery (bit dramatic, but accurate) I have what I think is an allergy rash all up my arms, a constant cough, and feel quite breathless (I am asthamtic), dizzy, and sick...In short I feel like shite.  :'(

From everything I have read, you are supposed to try each type of HRT for 3 months to feel the full effects, I am now in the 3rd month of Femostan, and am really struggling - I cant remember the last time I had a good nights sleep.

Can anyone tell me if there is a magic moment after 3 months of taking HRT when everything falls into place? Or am I struggling through this for no reason....

Also, what are peoples experience of GPs treating menopause symptoms - am I better off asking for a referral to a menopause clinic???

Any advice really appreciated - thanks in advance :)

Lanzalover

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 06:00:43 AM »

Good morning Love46

:welcomemm:

Good luck with the gel and Utrogestan

Best wishes
Lanzalover x

Julestoo

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 10:10:29 AM »

Thanks for your responses. I went to the GP last night and have changed to estrogel plus utrogestan - fingers crossed  :)

p.s the GP had wanted me to try FemSeven sequi patches - but after contacting 5 different pharmacies, the message was that no one will be re-stocked unitl Dec 2020! :hotflash:

How did you get on with the estrogen and utrogestan?