Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena and Progynova Ts 50  (Read 1213 times)

Raztac10

Mirena and Progynova Ts 50
« on: March 09, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »

I was originally on Evorel Sequi but as the supplies were increasingly hard to get hold of changed a 5 weeks ago to Mirena and Progynova patch. Was prescribed estradot but pharmacist couldn't get that either so ended up with Progynova.

I was in the middle of my period when I got the Mirena. Within 2 days I stopped totally. Then a couple of days after that I started spotting brown blood/discharge and haven't stopped since.

It smelt horrid initially and I used some BV pessaries as I thought I might have an infection. The smell has now gone but I'm still spotting.

I don't feel anywhere near as good as I did on Evorel Sequi and really fed up from the spotting. I know I need to give it a bit longer but has anyone else been prescribed Progynova patches and feeling crappy? I've stuck another half a patch on to see if that helps!

I've now got terrible period pains and joints ache.

I don't know whether to see if I can get some estradot as I still have the prescription.

My friend has been prescribed a separate patch for oestrogen and one for progesterone when she was also on Evorel Sequi and I don't know why that wasn't suggested for me although I was really keen to try the Mirena as my periods had become really heavy. I used a coil for contraception years ago and got on fine with it.

Any advice and suggestions really appreciated. Thanks.

KBallinger

Re: Mirena and Progynova Ts 50
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 12:21:41 AM »

I was given the coil 4 weeks today and I haven't stopped having brown blood/discharge with fresh red blood every so often. Feel crappy also. X

Alicess

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 07:01:05 AM »

Hi Raztac,

Progynova contains estradiol valerate which is a pro- drug for estradiol. Other patches like estradot contain estradiol hemihydrate which is estradiol itself. I's possible you're not absorbing of metabolizing Progynova as well as estradiol hemihydrate patches. You could ask for another patch containing estradiol hemihydrate?

I hope someone else comes along with experience regarding Progynova.

Alicess

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 08:55:14 AM »

Hi Raztac, just to correct the previous post! Progynova patches do not contain Estradiol valerate. That's the tablets. The patches contain the same estradiol as all the other patches so nothing to do with that. They are a weekly change patch so maybe levels are dropping off and you are absorbing differently? More likely is that sdie effects are due to the mirena which releases progestogen at higher amounts initially. Some women find they need a higher dose of oestrogen when they have a mirena, not to "balance" the progesterone as such but to try to drown out any negative side effects.

In haste!
Hurdity x

Raztac10

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 04:25:29 PM »

Thank you for your reply.

I increased to 1 1/2 patches (50 + 25 I guess) at weekend to see if that would help. I kind of feel maybe it has but maybe that's wishful thinking as still bleeding. Would u suggest leaving it a a bit longer or increase to 2 patches? I have plenty of patches as they mistakenly gave me double amount thinking it was twice weekly. Don't want to go back to gp at mo as they?re a bit snowed under!

Alicess

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 07:36:19 AM »

Sorry, Raztac, I misinformed you. My pharmacist told me both tablets and patches contain estradiol valerate. I should have looked it up myself.

I don't  have any experience with Mirena myself but I think other ladies did have spotting / bleeding at first after insertion. It takes a while for estrogen to build up but if you still feel bad after some time you could try to up your dose.

Alicess