Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How do private prescriptions work? :(  (Read 1051 times)

Clovie

How do private prescriptions work? :(
« on: March 10, 2020, 01:49:34 PM »

Hi all

i have posted recently about having Utrogestan stopped as it is 'unsafe to use for HRT' but only apparently in the NHS Lothian area of Scotland or the UK. I cannot use other progs as I am intolerant,

My husband and i have raised a complaint and it will take time to be looked at, meanwhile my HRT is running out and now the surgery have told us the Estrogel is being not prescribed for me either.
We do intend to escalate the complaint as and when.
This is all extremely unfair and extremely upsetting.
Unfair not least because another member on here has said she still receives the utrogestan on NHS prescription and she is in the same Health Authrority. :( :(

Meanwhile, as I cannot do without HRT and I cannot take synthetic progs I am going to have to look at a private precription.

Have any members got a private prescription for this bioitentical HRT?

I have questions -
can I get the Estrogel on NHS if I get a private prescription for the Utrogestan?
Or do I need to get a prescription for both?

Could any member say how much per year it costs to have a private prescription for this type of HRT please?
I'm worried about the cost :(

Thank you so much for anyone who can help with these questions, thanks.

Ladybird 2

Re: How do private prescriptions work? :(
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 07:49:02 PM »

Hi Clovey,
I have had the same issue but now getting month by month reluctantly by the NHS
Private ?130 approx for 4 months supply had to also pay ?50 for prescription with the last gynae all very wrong to have to pay. Now found a new lady Dr who happily gave me the prescription but practice were not happy & lots of problems & stress occurred.
Wish you all the best for your prescription don't give up - Dr Currie who started this website will be the best person to ask.
LB

Clovie

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 08:02:01 PM »

Hi Clovey,
I have had the same issue but now getting month by month reluctantly by the NHS
Private ?130 approx for 4 months supply had to also pay ?50 for prescription with the last gynae all very wrong to have to pay. Now found a new lady Dr who happily gave me the prescription but practice were not happy & lots of problems & stress occurred.
Wish you all the best for your prescription don't give up - Dr Currie who started this website will be the best person to ask.
LB

Hi Ladybird

Sorry to hear you've been through all this too  :-\
I am indeed going to contact Dr Currie  :great:

Are you in Scotland too?

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »

Oh Clovie. I'm so sorry you?re having to deal with this. I'm at a loss as to why your GP practice is being so difficult. Would they prescribe patches instead of the gel? Could you maybe get these to work for you so at least you?re paying just for the Utrogestan? X

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 10:36:05 PM »

Have you seen any documentation that supports their position? Might be time to change gp. In England you can ask for a referral to a meno clinic, not sure if you can in Scotland.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:13:36 AM »

Hi Sheila. Utrogestan isn't authorised for use in Scotland but I do think they can prescribe it if there's a valid medical reason. it's seems to be a lottery not just within the various health boards but different GP practices. I've had it no problem although my first consultation to get it was a private one, he wrote to my GP and they have prescribed it no problem since then on the NHS

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »

It isn't anything to do with the name is it? A year ago when I was prescribed it the gp looked up utrogeston and could only find the 200mg ones. This is only authorised for ivf not for hrt. The 100mg one for hrt came under 'micronised progesterone'. I thought nice guidelines covered the whole of UK but perhaps not?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:35:24 AM by sheila99 »