Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Breakthrough bleed on Conti HRT  (Read 609 times)

soniad

Breakthrough bleed on Conti HRT
« on: March 10, 2020, 08:44:38 PM »

Hi everyone,

I was attempting to switch to conti HRT since last June, all was fine until January, when experienced some breakthrough bleeding.

Spotting has continued since then, despite taking the continuous progesterone, so I decided to stop taking the progesterone to allow a bleed last Saturday.

The bleed came yesterday , but it isn't super heavy. It was a reasonable flow yesterday but lighter today.

I would have thought that if I have hyperplasia, the bleed would be much heavier?

I will be asking my doctor for a scan in April anyway - but just wanted some thoughts on this

thanks

Hurdity

Re: Breakthrough bleed on Conti HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 05:31:48 PM »

It partly depends if you are still peri or post-menopausal. If still peri then your own cycle can break through. If post - then because you are taking a combi HRT then the balance might not be quite right so either it could be insufficient progestogen to keep the lining uniformly thin (so you experience breakthrough bleeding) or in fact the opposite. The progestogen sometimes works almost too well and can cause endometrial atrophy (over-thinning) which can also cause spotting. The former is more likely if you got the bleed after stopping though and yes if it is not very heavy then less likely to be over thick. Good idea to ask doc for a scan in view of ongoing bleeding and spotting.

All the best and let us know the outcome.

Hurdity x

soniad

Re: Breakthrough bleed on Conti HRT
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 07:22:40 PM »

Thank you Hurdity x