Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone got tips on a good night sleep?  (Read 1900 times)

yvonnemc

Anyone got tips on a good night sleep?
« on: March 10, 2020, 10:30:58 AM »

I've never been a great sleeper (avg 6 hrs p/night), but since the old hot flushes started, it's been a total mare! I wake up pretty much wake up hourly and then I'm awake for 15 mins or so - tossing and turning the whole night. I've been taking Neuro Night complex for over a week and although I do feel more rested when I wake up and I'm not so stiff, I just want to sleep for more than an hour or so at a time  :(

I have no other issues, re moods, anxiety etc - just manageable flushes but the poor sleep is doing my head in.
Any suggestions folks?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 12:03:00 PM by Emma »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anyone got tips on a good night sleep?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »

Wind down an hour B4 bed
Switch off gadgets an hour B4 bed
Warm bath with very good book usually does it for me with lots of bubbles  :-*
Some find a soothing warm drink helps

Stop worrying about not sleeping  ::). I had a very busy job in the 1970s/80s and had broken nights.  The night after I thought 'not sleeping hasn't killed me yet and I get through the day without problems' I slept.  Well.  I get the odd night now when I either don't drop off [last night] for hours or wake periodically.  If my brain needs to sleep in the evening, there's nowt that I can do.  I sleep  ::)

Occasionally my GP has given me 5 sleeping tablets to use as necessary to break the cycle.

yvonnemc

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 11:05:05 AM »

Wind down an hour B4 bed
Switch off gadgets an hour B4 bed
Warm bath with very good book usually does it for me with lots of bubbles  :-*
Some find a soothing warm drink helps

Stop worrying about not sleeping  ::). I had a very busy job in the 1970s/80s and had broken nights.  The night after I thought 'not sleeping hasn't killed me yet and I get through the day without problems' I slept.  Well.  I get the odd night now when I either don't drop off [last night] for hours or wake periodically.  If my brain needs to sleep in the evening, there's nowt that I can do.  I sleep  ::)

Occasionally my GP has given me 5 sleeping tablets to use as necessary to break the cycle.

Thanks for this. I'll try the bath idea. You're right though - I've not had a regular 8 hrs for the last 20 years, and I've done okay, so maybe I shouldn't stress about it

Jari

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »

Hi Yvonnemc.

Do you have much caffeine? If so, how much do you consume in a day and at what point in the day do you stop?

I sleep better since I cut down coffee by half and only have it now in the morning and no caffeine after the morning.

Herbal teas throughout the day plus water... chamomile tea before bed and a magnesium supplement with evening meal. X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 12:24:48 PM »

Whereas caffeine in tea makes no difference but coffee although I love the smell, makes me queasy.

Jari

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 02:38:26 PM »

Caffeinated tea would also apply , as in, not to have throughout the day. :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »

Caffiene has never affected me.  Fortunately.

If I get nights when I can't sleep I have the radio on softly  ;)

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »

My main peri symptoms were insomnia and anxiety. Not quite the same as you as I'd sleep til 2am then be awake til 7. 4 hours sleep was a good night. Hrt sorted mine. Might be worth trying? If it doesn't help you can always stop.

CrispyChick

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 04:16:21 PM »

Don't look at the clock. I suffered anxiety after my first baby and I always got really worked up about not sleeping and then bring exhausted the next day.

I was told never to check the time. I think it helps x

Kmorris

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 04:24:38 PM »

During my early 50s after my periods had stopped for a year, I would sometimes go 48 hours without sleep ... I never felt tired, there was like a buzzing in my stomach almost like a bike revving up...when this feeling came on, sleep was impossible....I felt like I'd been plugged into an energy source and I just carried on throughout the night getting jobs done or sewing/knitting....I used to think...well, at least I have more hours to do the things I want than anyone else has! ( Not good if you're tired out I know...but I felt like I was on some super energy drug).

In my case very little worked, it was just another stage in this wild ride that has to be gone through...BUT....

One thing I have noticed...during the summer months I walk about 5 - 6 miles at about 7 pm. Not a jog, not a stroll. A good brisk walk. Without fail I always get a better nights sleep after a walk in the fresh air...come rain or shine or whatever. As soon as we put the clocks forward I will be going out again.... even a walk round the block might help...just to get you going?

Ps....if anyone does this by themselves make sure you alter your route on different nights....just remember to keep yourself safe....oh and don't plug your ears up with one of those music things ....keep alert keep safe, make sure you don't walk into any danger.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 04:28:35 PM »

well said kmorris!  The number of cyclists/walkers/joggers that step into the road wearing those ear-piece thingies  :o  >:(

When I don't sleep I put music on and choreograph skating routines  :D

Jari

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 05:29:04 PM »

Well said Kmorris. A good walk and fresh air is great to aid sleep too.

Thinking about it, I also sleep well when I have had a good walk. X

soniad

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 08:39:48 PM »

I take HRT for sleep, but also - Melatonin has done wonders for me.

I take 4mg a night, slow release.

Sally S

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 05:01:32 PM »

Yoga class early evening and a large, hot, oat milk drink before bed helps me. X

Jari

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 05:14:46 PM »

I might try that Sally... I am just home with some whole oat milk. I usually have on muesli, but as a hot drink must be nice too! 👍😊
Pages: [1] 2