Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Been offered HRT - don?t know whether to take it  (Read 2037 times)

AnxietyPanda

Been offered HRT - don?t know whether to take it
« on: March 09, 2020, 06:06:52 PM »

Hi - I have been offered HRT by my GP. I have been suffering with anxiety for the past 6 weeks. I am 46.

My periods are erratic, usually 22/24/25/26 days but with the occasional 40/36/34 day cycle (which was my last cycle with all the anxiety). Periods are quite light and trouble free.

I do have times in my cycle when I get very hot and sweaty at the slightest bit of exercise. But this is not all of the time. I see a medical herbalist and she has been treating me for a few years now, for thyroid (had Graves disease, in remission now for 6 years) and general nervous system. She doesn't think I will need HRT and is more for the natural approach to riding it all out.

My mother says she had the menopause at 42. I think I have been peri menopausal since 38 (had a child at 40). My mother has very bad osteoporosis at the age of 76. I had a bone scan recently (private) and my bone density is good.

So, should I take the HRT? It would be oestrogel and the progesterone tablets. I do worry about the future of my bones, and symptoms getting worse with regards to anxiety (i cannot cope with anxiety, it shuts me down) but have been doing fine so far on the herbal route. This could just be a blip or a sign of things to come?

Sorry for the essay, and help/advice is appreciated. Thank you

sheila99

Re: Been offered HRT - don?t know whether to take it
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 06:16:57 PM »

Why wouldn't you take it? My anxiety has completely gone with hrt (it took 3 months though). Personal decision but quality of life is important.

AnxietyPanda

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 06:42:25 PM »

Fear really. I am scared that it will make things worse.

My anxiety has gone down a bit now, but I am afraid it will come back again next cycle, although I have been okay for ages before this latest episode.

I have been reading some threads and it seems like there can be more problems with taking HRT. don't know really, I hate feeling anxious so much, so don't want to make it worse!

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 06:50:20 PM »

Hi hrt can be a life saver for some women....I'm one of them. Try not to read too many posts on a forum like this. This forum is brilliant, but women generally only come here when they are struggling and so you will read lots of negative things.  There are hundreds of women who take hrt quite happily but they never feel the need to come on a forum like this .

My journey hasn't been easy, but now 8m on the right type and dose of hrt I'm living a normal life again.

But it is a personal choice xx

Penelope

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 02:26:11 AM »

Anxietypants.

Why should women get osteoporosis when we have HRT?

Why Should women have a lower quality of life when we have HRT?

Why should women get up in the night for the toilet when we have HRT?

Why should women have depression when we have HRT?

Why should women not have her heart protected from Disease when we have HRT?

Why should women not be able to have a full 8 hours sleep when we have HRT?

Why should women have a breast lump found  early because she is monitored on HRT?

Why should women no longer have pleasure sexually when we have HRT?

Why should women have painful vaginal Atrophy when we have HRT

Why should women not be protected from getting bowel cancer when we have HRT?

The list goes on except know one researches them.The Benefits of HRT are huge and with time like those in Sweden we will all be taking it into our late 80s
Just google BENEFITS OF HRT!🌹

KaraShannon

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 02:35:53 AM »

I don't know if this will help but the doctor said to me if I didn't like it in anyway, the patch can come off and the hormones are out of your system in 24 hours.

I only feel better on mine.  I did have a couple of really red faced, flushed days (and I don't get hot flushes, have never had them), but only a couple and I think it might just be where my body was getting used to the extra oestrogen. 

I seem fine now.  I've not yet started the progesterone patches yet, that comes on Thursday, so we'll see.

But it all feels much more natural than I thought it would.  Hope that helps.

AnxietyPanda

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 12:20:31 PM »

Thank you everyone. I guess I am reticent as I am not crippled by symptoms, but thinking about it, there are lots of little things that I just got used to I suppose. But the anxiety is the big thing, I cannot deal with that. Its dampened down now as the days roll on, but I am terrified it will raise its ugly head again. I feel better if I feel nothing. I had such awful panic attacks and anxiety with the Graves Disease that I was suicidal. The thought of being dogged by anxiety again makes me so afraid.

My mood is low and I have hardly any motivation at the moment. Constantly exhausted. Would love to have more energy, I have forgot what that is even like.

My mother took HRT from 44 for 10 years, but she is still riddled with osteoporosis, should she have stayed on it longer? I guess it was much different back then.

Sorry, rambling now!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 12:30:00 PM »

U ramble.  Clears the mind ;-)

Which symptom do you want to ease first?  How much info did the GP explain to you?  I remember being afraid to eat in case food made me feel worse ..... but my body was craving food  :-\

If you work try the HRT on Friday to see how you feel over a weekend?  Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary?

AnxietyPanda

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 04:27:20 PM »

It was the anxiety that set me down this road. I asked docs for a blood test, for thyroid primarily, told her what I was feeling etc and she mentioned the HRT. Anxiety has waned now, after 6 weeks, so feel less desperate, but low mood and exhaustion seem more prevalent now.

So, the symptoms I want rid of the most would be anxiety and tiredness. It would be nice to have some form of libido too, been with husband for 20 years and we are both too tired!

AnxietyPanda

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 04:29:38 PM »

How much info did the GP explain to you? 

Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary?

She didn't explain much, but gave me the details of the HRT for me to research myself. Doesn't usually do that apparently. So I have been reading up over the last few days, hence arriving here on the forum.

I track my periods using Clue, so put symptoms in there.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 04:30:05 PM »

Cuddles are fine you know ;-).  Small blown kisses across the room occasionally.  Works 4 us  :D

Did the GP check your VitD levels?  When I had low levels I felt tired.  20 mins. weeding and I would have to sit for 2 hours after  :-\.  Capsules helped.

AnxietyPanda

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 08:02:11 PM »

Cuddles are fine you know ;-).  Small blown kisses across the room occasionally.  Works 4 us  :D

Did the GP check your VitD levels?  When I had low levels I felt tired.  20 mins. weeding and I would have to sit for 2 hours after  :-\.  Capsules helped.

😁 I do like a cuddle.

GP hasn't done vit D, but I do take a high dose daily as a matter of course. I take iron too, and that does help a bit.

AnxietyPanda

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 08:06:04 PM »

Will HRT stop any anxiety?

luvleeju

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 09:49:23 PM »

Hi since the age of 50 I've struggled with anxiety and all the other effects of menopause. Until recently I've avoided HRT but after 7 years of my symptoms getting worse and feeling like my life was pointless I've finally made the step to give it a go. Yes I'm scared I've made the wrong decision but also I'm tired of feeling this low . I just want the old me back and if HRT works then I feel it's worth all the risks . I've struggled for way to long.
Good luck in whatever you decide . it's early days for me but I'm already sleeping better which has helped massively. I will be posting regularly with updates if you are interested. Take care xx

sheila99

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 10:13:34 PM »

Will HRT stop any anxiety?
There are many causes of anxiety. If it started with peri like mine I would expect hrt to stop it. If you had anxiety before then maybe not. You can always stop hrt if it doesn't help you but do give it long enough to work.
Pages: [1] 2