Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Variations of oestrogen in normal cycles  (Read 952 times)

rolercoasterhell

Variations of oestrogen in normal cycles
« on: March 08, 2020, 04:35:52 PM »

What I don't understand is that during our 'normal' fertile years and peri our oestrogen fluctuates naturally. Oestrogen goes very high and even lower than during menopause at times within a normal cycle. This is what our bodies are meant to do.

Why then do we find the fluctuations so difficult in peri/meno when our hormones have been going up and down for decades following the rhythm that they are supposed to be doing?

Most women (unfortunately I do not include myself in this) do not even notice these fluctuations until middle age and I wonder why.

Sorry, probably a ridiculous question.

Mogster71

Re: Variations of oestrogen in normal cycles
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 04:50:40 PM »

My doctor told me that the fluctuations were more exaggerated..higher peaks and troughs. I suppose if you were one of us ladies who knew exactly where you were in your cycle based on how you were feeling, it's probably more likely you'll feel the changes more in peri too?

rolercoasterhell

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »

Thank you Mongster.
I have ALWAYS felt changes in my cycle. :-\

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 12:14:41 PM »

Hello rolercoasterhell

I would have some breast tenderness before a period and  a sense of relief and calm when my bleed began but  I never thought of myself as having troublesome PMT.  I was also aware of when I was ovulating from the change in vaginal mucous.

The menopause moods however have been horrible and by far the worst aspect of this whole journey.  I can't figure out if I've become more sensitive to hormone changes or if my mood swings are super severe. All I know is that I hate it and want to feel emotionally stable again asap!

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 02:45:34 PM »

Yes I agree Mogster. Current thinking is that hormonal fluctuations can be more dramatic during peri-menopause as the ovaries begin to fail so reach higher and lower levels than during our normal menstrual cycle. Hence the mood swings. Also there is a wide variation in normal oestrogen levels at the pre-ovulatory peak anyway.

Msot women surely experience some form of pms to some extent? The few days before the period when oestrogen plummets and progesterone withdrawal exerts negative physiological effects leading to tension, headaches, moodiness etc.

Like stellajane  I was always aware of the pms but have no idea whether it was due to falling oestrogen or progesterone withdrawal or both, but like she describes, my period would start during this "bad" time and I would feel like s***, period pains etc, and then a couple of days later it all lifted, (yes like stellajane's cloud, exactly that!) and I would feel normal again. I am sure I could feel the rising oestrogen surging through my body and it would happen within hours the change of mood and the cloud departing!

rolercoasterhell I would say women are unusual if they are not aware of changes in mood or well-being or other side effects during the menstrual cycle. It is in fact supposed to produce these changes, after all biologically we are supposed to mate just after ovulation and are supposed to feel at our sexiest and best then - when oestrogen is high and our testosterone peaks  ::).

Hurdity x

rolercoasterhell

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »

I cannot wait until the saner me dominates Stellajane!

rolercoasterhell

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »

Thank you Hurdity. Informative as always.

I have always had horrendous PMT but over the last year it has pretty much disappeared...replaced with other horrors unfortunately. I also used to get breast pain and that left about 18 months ago too.

I wonder why I no longer suffer PMT before my irregular periods. It used to be so severe and now I only feel a little weepy and unenthusiastic (massive change from wanting to kill myself and everyone else) :o

rolercoasterhell

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 02:51:33 PM »

I'm actually going to start another thread about diminishing PMT

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 10:48:31 PM »

As everyone has said, the volatility is stronger, and possibly its because eggs run low so hormones surge more to try to get the last ones fertilised!

Also, progesterone levels start to gradually fall from around age 35 so they can no longer protect you from the oestrogen surges as they can when younger.

Baby

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 04:18:33 PM »

I never had ANY problems with pmt. My cycle was like clockwork till a couple of years ago. But this menopause is horrendous. I have almost all symptons. Anxiety is the worst along with tiredness and absolutely no motivation.