Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause support groups  (Read 1589 times)

flutterby

Menopause support groups
« on: March 09, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »

Hi All
I attend the Patient Participation Group at my GP practice. We have a new very proactive Practice Manager who is keen to set up support groups. I have met with him and we have set a date for later this month for the first meeting. I have quite a few ideas and hoping to have some nursing/ medical input, however I wondered if any of your have set up or attend a group. Any advice would be grateful accepted.
The main ethos would be a safe confidential place to chat with others who understand.
Flutterby x
Sorry I've put this in wrong place if admin could move would be  grateful
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:09:00 PM by flutterby »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Menopause support groups
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 03:09:53 PM »

It's OK - we do have a few threads about this.  If you put it into the search box some might pop up.

Good Luck!

Find out how your Surgery intends to support and publicise menopause to their patient groups.  Posters in the Waiting Room.  Local Library and Hospitals?  Leisure Centre?  WI group?  Church Notice Board?  Will there be a specific nurse practitioner to talk to ladies? 

Is there access to a local Menopause Clinic ?    Will this be rolled out to ethnic communities and how will they be approached? 

Maybe at the 1st meeting get ladies to jot down their symptoms.  Some may well be shy at opening up.  Perhaps suggest the idea of a diary? to discuss at the next meeting.  ? monthly ? [with cake of course  ;) ] ........

Might be an idea to have leaflets about 'me and my menopausal vagina' to hand - there's a thread about that here too. 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 03:18:25 PM by CLKD »

flutterby

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 03:30:13 PM »

Thanks CLKD will do some searching. Meanwhile thanks for the very valid points. We've done the poster and will advertise in it in other practices ( hopefully including one that was originally for refugees/ asylum seekers) and I have a lot of friends and acquaintances of different ethnic backgrounds so that will definitely be addressed.
No Menopause clinic in my area that was shut down about 10 years ago sadly. Did mention nurse support and I rather cheekily mentioned that I had been at the receiving end of one GP not knowing NICE guidelines on HRT
Flutterby x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »

Let us know how you get on?

Exciting?  After all there are clinics for diabetics etc. ;-)

flutterby

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 03:57:35 PM »

CKLD - Will do.
My friend started one at another practice in the area. First meeting she sat on her own, then numbers started to grow and she encouraged me.
Change of Practice Manager has made it possible at our practice
Flutterby x

Bobidy

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 04:37:07 PM »

I'm so glad somebody has mentioned this as I was going to do this at my doctors.

I'm just having a battle with them at the mo about HRT, so depending on how that goes I'll persevere with it.

Let us know how you get on x