Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: 2nd mirena coil and spotting/bleeding  (Read 682 times)

Ljp

2nd mirena coil and spotting/bleeding
« on: March 05, 2020, 08:20:00 PM »

I had my second mirena coil fitted on 12th January, and Im having intermittent spotting/bleeding, I had the same with my first coil for about 5 months, and very very occasional minimal spotting at odd times during the 4 years I had it.

I guess I wasn't expecting it after having this one as already had a mirena for 4 years.....is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Many thanks

Paz23

Re: 2nd mirena coil and spotting/bleeding
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 11:15:58 AM »

I was exactly the same. With my first one I had no periods or anything for 5 years but since having the second one fitted I've been all over the place with spotting, light periods etc.
Someone did suggest it's because the hormone balance in my own body is changing rather than anything to do with the Mirena.
On the other hand if you read up about the Mirena it seems it's quite common to get spotting and light bleeding at random times, perhaps we were just lucky with the first ones.
I mentioned it to my dr and she didn't seem particularly concerned about it. X

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 08:23:52 AM »

As paz23 says it could be your own hormones changing. However more likely is that a new Mirena will be giving out a much higher dose of the progestogen; they do during the first months and this declines over the months and years that it is in place, so your womb lining needs to adjust again to a no bleed or occasional spotting scenario. Are you also taking oestrogen and are you menopausal yet (you probably don't know if you have a Mirena!)?

Hurdity x

Ljp

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 08:49:20 AM »

. Are you also taking oestrogen and are you menopausal yet (you probably don't know if you have a Mirena!)?

Hurdity x

Thank you for the replies, I'm not overly concerned by it as I had spotting for about 5 months after having my first coil too, I guess I just wasn't expecting with this one being my second .

Hurdity, yes I am post menopausal, have been for 6 years, had first mirena inserted as a result of a light post meno bleed while I was only using estriole vaginally cream for atrophy.
I have been on systemic HRT oestrogel and mirena for 4 years, plus estring for VA, and Tostran since September.