Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Changing to Mirena coil plus patches  (Read 748 times)

lizziejt

Changing to Mirena coil plus patches
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:50:40 PM »

Hi all
I haven't posted here for several years. I am now 56. I started on Femoston 1/10 at about 48, then added 0.5mg of oestrogen when that wasn't enough.  Several years ago I tried changing to Utrogestan and oestrogen gel but I broke out all over my face so went back to the tablets. I then got very bad vaginal atrophy and recurrent UTIs so as well as upping my topical oestrogen the HRT clinic put me on femoston 2/10 a couple of years ago. That has been fine apart from heavy periods and my hair has started thinning (not sure if related to meno, HRT or neither). They are now saying it would be safer to have a Mirena coil plus oestrogen gel or patch. I have read some bad things about the Mirena and there are quite a few lawsuits in the US - plus there is a possible side effect of hair loss and I already have thinning hair. Can anyone tell me what you think is the best regime to try? Any suggestions, advice or experiences with the Mirena would be really helpful. I need to decide what to go for - could also maybe try the Utrogestan and estrogel again? Sorry for the long post, thank you for reading  :)

Nik2502

Re: Changing to Mirena coil plus patches
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 10:16:41 PM »

Hi
I'm also thinking of trying the mirena. I think, like everything, you?ll read good and bad experiences but people mostly post their bad ones.
Many ladies are very happy with it.
We are all so different nothing affects us the same.
X

lizziejt

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:21:04 AM »

Hi, yes it's true and I'm scared to  change as Femoston suits me except for the heavy periods. But I suppose it's worth trying a lower risk method. That's if I can get it fitted, which has been difficult so far as GP doesn't do it so i need to go back to the clinic.

Peripurple

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 07:25:47 AM »

Hi, I have the mirena and use Oestrogel, after lots of trial and error this is the best regime for me, I think the mirena is fantastic.  My hair was shedding before, and it certainly hasn't increased with the mirena. 

lizziejt

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 02:39:46 PM »

Hi, I have the mirena and use Oestrogel, after lots of trial and error this is the best regime for me, I think the mirena is fantastic.  My hair was shedding before, and it certainly hasn't increased with the mirena. 

Thanks Peripurple. I have an appointment scheduled so I guess I will try it and see! I just hope I don't get lots of initial bleeding as I'm already low in iron  ::)