Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Norethisterone after hysterectomy  (Read 1893 times)

KimmyH

Norethisterone after hysterectomy
« on: February 29, 2020, 11:28:22 AM »

Hi, I had a hysterectomy in 2010 (age 40)  & have been on Evorel Conti for 9 of those years with no issues, until last year when I was affected by the hrt shortage. Over the past few months I've been put on various different tablet form hrt, I've not had much luck as each one I've been put on has then gone out of stock. I've today been given Kilofem which I see contains norethisterone, but from what I can see online this shouldn't be prescribed to women who have had a hysterectomy.  Does anyone have any more knowledge or thoughts about that?  I've made an appt to see a GP but earliest is 4 weeks so I'm wondering if I'm going to have any issues if I start taking this new hrt?  Thanks for any guidance.

Taz2

Re: Norethisterone after hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »

Hi Kimmy. If you've been on Evorel conti then you have already been using Norethisterone as this is part of Evorel conti. You need an oestrogen only HRT usually following a hysterectomy?

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 12:36:09 PM »

Hi KimmyH - if you were prescribed Evorel conti after your hysterectomy then this too has norethisterone and is normally only prescribed to women with a womb. However if your hysterectomy was due to endometriosis then you will have been given a progestogen to help prevent the growth of any deposits you had outside the womb, and if this is the case then you will need to continue taking it ie the Kliofem would be right. If no endo then Evorel conti was wrong and you should have had Evorel 50 or any estradiol patch, unless you had a sub-total hytserectomy ( cervix retained) and there is some endometrial tissue still left behind?
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

Evorel conti is now back in production so you could ask at various pharmacies if they have any and get your prescription changed back, if you want to continue with this? There will of course still be local shortages until the supply situation stabilises with regard to all HRT products.

Hurdity x

PS Taz your reply came as I was typing mine!

KimmyH

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 02:14:53 PM »

Brilliants thanks so much for your replies.  My googling must have gone awry because I didn't see it in the Evorel notes.  You?re both right I did have endometriosis so that explains it. Thanks again.  Love this site it really helped me 10 years ago before my surgery 😃

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 04:19:08 PM »

I forgot to ask the reason for your hysterectomy so thanks Hurdity for your post! Brain fog following last week's mini-flu bug  :-\

My pharmacy are still saying that Evorel is not back in production yet although they had been informed it was going to be this month? Frustrating!

Taz x

robotwars

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 08:15:45 PM »

I have just managed to get evorel conti, I did have to phone around a few cheimists thought....

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 08:30:00 PM »

KimmyH, I managed to get evorel conti from my local chemists (Boots) the week before last.