Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: A bit worried and need advice ref alternative to Hysteroscopic polypectomy  (Read 1528 times)

pepperminty

Hi ladies,

I have been told that I need a hysteoscopic polypectomy, due to a polyp on the lining of my womb. Which apparently may be causing the watery discharge. Anyway they obviously haven't looked at my previous notes as I could not have a IUD fitted due to a very small cervix and I am allergic to any tablets given to dilate the womb. The last time they tried anything I spent 2 days in hospital after being admitted to A and E. They obviously feel they need a look around inside. I am a bit worried as I don't want to go through what I did before. Can they do it any other way?

So is there an alternative?

Peppermintyxx

kdee69

Re: A bit worried and need advice ref alternative to Hysteroscopic polypectomy
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »

Apologies if this is a different procedure but I recently had to have a hysteroscopy due to fibroids and polyps being discovered and I opted for a general anaesthetic. I can't even have smears now without feeling extreme pain. No idea why as sex isn't uncomfortable and I've had three children vaginally successfully. Anyway, I know a GA is not at all ideal but it was the only way I could cope. It was pain free afterwards ( well one day of period like pains -nothing that ibuprofen wouldn't move) and I bled for three days lightly. The worse part was the tiredness after the op. Several days , maybe even a week

Again apologies if this is a different procedure.

Rhiner

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 02:51:56 PM »

Hi Pepperminty,
I too have had a polypectomy under a GA, was absolutely fine, a bit of bleeding afterwards but no pain at all. I had one previous just with Entonox and fainted as the pain was bad and they didn't get all the way around to look properly, so this time they insisted on a GA. So glad I had this. Im sure if you explain the situation this is what they will advise.
Rhiner X

vickypk

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:06:04 PM »

Hi.
I had two hysteroscopies last October.  It all started with vag bleeding and I had a hysteroscopy within two days of this and they found a polyp, unfortunately the Dr couldn't remove it there and then and a week later I had to have another hysteroscopy under GA. I was really scared to have this done, but it went okay. The only problem was I had bleeding and cramps for three months after and two infections. Anyway I'm fine now and back on HRT.
I hope you are okay, I know it must be a very scary time for you.
I was crying with pain when I had the hysteroscopy done in the Drs office, the internal injection was pretty bad too.
Let me know how you get on.
Good luck
Xx

pepperminty

Thanks Ladies,

so it looks like a general anesthetic for  me then.  Trouble is I had one before and still ended up in A and E. Part of me would rather just ignore the whole thing and pretend it  hasn't happened . I am worried about infections vickypk ,  and recovery. I wonder what the infection rate is? I know I will have to speak to the consultant next week. Also forgot to say that you can't get anything past my cervix , so not sure how they are going to even with a general anesthetic. Coming back as a man !

Peppermintyx
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:00:46 AM by pepperminty »

vickypk

Hi pepperminty
Think i may have had the same problem as you, that is why I had two bad infections and bleeding for three months. Although I don't think that is usual with those problems. The polyp was benign, so that was a relief.
You made me laugh. Coming back as a man!
Beat wishes
 Vicky xx

Machair

I had this done in November under GA. I was fortunate to go private and the consultant said he much prefers to do this procedure under GA as it is much kinder for the patient.

My experience was that the thought was so much worse than the event. The op went well and I came home five hours later- no pain just light bleeding for a few days maybe 2 weeks altogether. To be honest I would have been terrified of having it done without GA but I am sure that in many cases it is fine. The other thing is that there is no memory of anything being done -just a quick needle in the back of the hand, off to sleep and then awake eating toast and jam. Then home to a duvet day and some good TV!

Hope all goes well and that it is over soon.xx

pepperminty

Thanks again for everyone's kind replies. I am defo not being awake !

PMX

Katejo

PMX
I tried to have a hysteroscopy without GA. They established that I had no polyps or fibroids and said that it looked healthy but they couldn't get into the cervix because the opening was too tight. It was going to be too painful. I am now waiting for a pre op appointment. Hope it comes soon. Have been waiting for 2 weeks.

flossie fiddler

Hope it all goes well for you. I had a hysteroscope under LA after abnormal bleeding whilst on HRT to see what was going on inside. The LA was my choice. The plus was I got to see the polyp on the screen. The negative was that I had to go back 2 weeks later for a GA for polypectomy as consultant wouldn't do it under LA. Had no problems after. I've never given birth so assuming my cervical opening is small.

When you speak to the consultant, make sure they know all your concerns. I've found in general that they do take it all on board.

Good luck.

pepperminty

PMX
I tried to have a hysteroscopy without GA. They established that I had no polyps or fibroids and said that it looked healthy but they couldn't get into the cervix because the opening was too tight. It was going to be too painful. I am now waiting for a pre op appointment. Hope it comes soon. Have been waiting for 2 weeks.

I do hope you get the appointment soon. Sounds like you have the same as me!
PMX

pepperminty

Hope it all goes well for you. I had a hysteroscope under LA after abnormal bleeding whilst on HRT to see what was going on inside. The LA was my choice. The plus was I got to see the polyp on the screen. The negative was that I had to go back 2 weeks later for a GA for polypectomy as consultant wouldn't do it under LA. Had no problems after. I've never given birth so assuming my cervical opening is small.

When you speak to the consultant, make sure they know all your concerns. I've found in general that they do take it all on board.

Good luck.

Thanks Flossie Fiddler, I haven't had children either , so I will tell the consultant my concerns. I hope you had a swift recovery .

PMX

Katejo

PMX

I do hope you get the appointment soon. Sounds like you have the same as me!
PMX
   I had my pre op appointment today. The annoying thing is that I have no say in when my GA will be. I requested a monday because an ex colleague has the day off and can accompany me home but that wasn't an option. Also I HAVE to go home by car /taxi and not use any public transport. In my case there is a direct overground train line which stops right by my front door. I'd much rather go that way than in a car via the North circular Rd.  The car is my least favourite means of transport.

Today i had to complete a detailed health questionnaire and have my heart checked and some blood tests done. Now I have to wait for them to offer me a date and see if I can get anyone to look after me overnight on that day.

pepperminty

I had my pre op appointment today. The annoying thing is that I have no say in when my GA will be. I requested a monday because an ex colleague has the day off and can accompany me home but that wasn't an option. Also I HAVE to go home by car /taxi and not use any public transport. In my case there is a direct overground train line which stops right by my front door. I'd much rather go that way than in a car via the North circular Rd.  The car is my least favourite means of transport.

Today i had to complete a detailed health questionnaire and have my heart checked and some blood tests done. Now I have to wait for them to offer me a date and see if I can get anyone to look after me overnight on that day

Hi Katejo, the above  sounds very stressful for you. I haven't a clue when mine will be I called up for info and they told me that they couldn't give me any information , I was just to wait until I got a next letter and call up then with my concerns ! And that the winter bed blocking will mean that it wont be for a while! Any way I have an important appointment I must attend in the future and I cannot change it, so I just have to hope for he best.

PMX