Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Taking progesterone with Sandrena gel... advice pls?  (Read 1775 times)

BB777

Taking progesterone with Sandrena gel... advice pls?
« on: February 29, 2020, 11:37:02 AM »

I have been on Sandrena and progesterone pill recently prescribed by my dr. I have taken Sandrena for 3 weeks with brilliant results already and then started the progesterone exactly 2 weeks after the first day of my last bleed (Drs advice?) so today is day 11 of taking it and I started bleeding? Is this normal?
So my bleed has started but I am supposed to carry on taking progesterone for another 4 days (14 in total?)
Can anyone advise me on this?
Thank you :)

Hurdity

Re: Taking progesterone with Sandrena gel... advice pls?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 12:13:42 PM »

Hi BB777

:welcomemm:

Usually the advice is to do the complete course although cycles often have a mind of their own  ::).

What have your cycles been doing up until you started the HRT? Had you skipped many periods, long gaps between them etc?

Hurdity x

PS I realise now I already welcomed you a few weeks ago on your other thread!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:15:56 PM by Hurdity »

Tc

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 12:18:08 PM »

Hiya bb.

When I took utrogestan (progesterone) pills on a cycle of 12 days.  I always bled on day 8. Like clockwork.every month.  I was told to continue the progesterone for the whole 12 days regardless.

I was  post meno. I assume from what you've said you still have your own cycle. I believe unlike the pill that HRT doesnt always override a natural cycle. And it may take a while to settle down into a rhythm.

Hopefully someone will be along who has experience of taking progesterone with a natural cycle  to advise. 

I'm glad to hear the sandrena is working well for you. X

Tc

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 12:19:02 PM »

Sorry. I crossed over you there hurdity. X

BB777

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:12:17 AM »

Thanks both for your messages. I am a little confused on number of days to take progesterone? Is it 12 or 14?
I was told to take it for 14?
Also what day should I be taking it?
How long after cycle?
Thanks so much for help!
Yes I feel so glad to have found some relief to my symptoms!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 05:14:09 PM »

Hi
Just bumping your post up again.
Hopefully someone will advise.

Xx

Tc

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 05:44:14 PM »

I was told 12 days on 14 days off.

Ive just had a quick look for you.

NHS  site says "monthly HRT ? you take oestrogen every day, and take progestogen alongside it for the last 14 days of your menstrual cycle"

Dr newsons site also says 14 days.

BMS (British menopause society ) says  12 days. And Chelsea and Westminster clinic say 12 to 14 days. .

Here is what the info pages on MM say

"HRT in the Perimenopause: If HRT is commenced in the early stages of ovarian decline when periods are still present (the perimenopause), estrogen is taken every day and progestogen for 10 to 14 days per month (sequential HRT). This cyclical progestogen induces a monthly withdrawal bleed in about 85% of women."

So Dont worry it seems what you were told is correct.  and what I was told is also correct!

I do wish everyone would sing from the same hymn sheet!!  Its confusing enough for us ladies.
X

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 05:56:53 PM by Tc »

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 07:31:20 PM »

Juast to be clear - the actual licensed dose for utrogestan is 12 days x 200 mg per 28 day cycle. This would then be 12 days on 16 days off to complete the 28 day cycle

The Newson Health website refers to "the usual dose" so that is a bit imprecise.

The Chelsea and Westminster I presume are giving flexibility to increase the duration should the 12 days not be sufficient to control bleeding?

The MM info is referring to all progestogens. The 10 days is the duration I gather from studies, that minimises the risk of endometrial hyperplasia. 12 days I think reduces that almost to zero. Different protgestogens vary in their capacity to act on the endometrium with some of the synthetic ones being far nore effective in this regard than progesterone itself (Utrogestan) hence greater tolerance of lower doses/duration. Also the protective effect is dose dependent re oestrogen so higher doses of oestrogen may require longer duration/higher dose progestogen to have the desired effect.

Confusing - yes!

Hurdity x

Tc

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 08:13:53 PM »

Thanks hurdity x

BB777

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 08:09:52 AM »

Thanks for your replies. Still been searching so this forum is fab! So I took progesterone on 19 Feb for 14 days
When do I take it again?
I get that I take it 12 (not 14) every 28 days so do I just count 28 days from the 19 Feb and take it again for 12 days and so on? Sorry to sound dense but it is confusing me! Thanks so much for your help :)

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 10:14:26 AM »

yes! 4 weeks from 1st day of utro you start to take it again. That's what I used to do so that I could keep to the same days of the week for prog withdrawal and avoid feeling  s*** at work. Some do it the same day of each calendar month making a slightly longer cycle so that makes it easier to remember - but that means a different start and finish day each cycle. I always knew when the 4 weeks had come round!

Hurdity x

BB777

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 02:27:11 PM »

Thank you so much!!! This site is blimin fantastic! :)