Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Help!! HRT question!  (Read 671 times)

angelteejay

Help!! HRT question!
« on: February 27, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »

Hi,

I've been on HRT now for 4 weeks. I was also taking Cerazette for birth control, which I'd be on for 3.5 years. I am 50. I haven't had a period for 3 years. My GP prescribed Oestrogel and Utrogestan to be taken continuously. For the first 2 weeks I was ok and saw things change a little. My symptoms are mainly night sweats, chills, anxiety, exhaustion and huge blood sugar crashes but have also gained weight, reduced libido, changes in esteem etc, which have been gradually declining for some time. Then 10 days or so ago, I noticed my mood suddenly lowering. I did have a virus and Caroline Flack had just died (which really upset me) so I put it down to that. But I continued feeling absolutely awful and really depressed. I didn't get off the sofa for a week during half term, found myself crying, nervous, anxious, shaky, not sleeping. It was horrendous. I called my GP who said it was likely to be a reaction to using double progesterone and said to stop taking Cerazette as that was most probably the problem. I was happy to do so and use condoms as contraception but when I researched progesterone, I then began to feel worried about taking Utrogestan. I called my GP again and said I'd read you can take it vaginally but she said she'd never told anyone to do that and would have to consult her clinical pharmacist. This was on Monday but as yet she hasn't got back to me as only works two days a week in the menopause clinic. I am due to take Utrogestan today but don't know whether to take it vaginally or orally. I do NOT want to feel depressed again. Anxiety I can cope with as I've always had it in some shape or form but not crashing depression. No bloody way. I am feeling my mood lift since stopping Cerazette and it's only been three days. Any advice would be brilliant as my GP isn't in until tomorrow and I don't now what to do.

LizzieL

Re: Help!! HRT question!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »

Yes you can take Utrogestan vaginally. That was the advice I received from my very expensive gynaecologist. However for me, it made my anxiety worse compared to taking it orally. In fact I have decided to come off HRT because of the anxiety/depression. For you maybe just speak to your GP and come up with a plan to limit your E intake and maybe get a scan after 3 months to check all is OK