Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Coming off HRT & Progesterone  (Read 898 times)

LizzieL

Coming off HRT & Progesterone
« on: February 27, 2020, 01:23:23 PM »

Aged 60 and have been on HRT for about a year but I just cannot tolerate the Progesterone, it has caused severe anxiety. So I have decided to come off HRT over a 6 week period. Now in week 4 and coming down from 2 pumps of Estrogel I am now on 1 pump and due to now cut this to a half. Is it OK for me to stop taking the Progesterone given my last dose was 10 days ago?

angelteejay

Re: Coming off HRT & Progesterone
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 12:50:11 PM »

I've only been on it for 4 weeks and already feel like that. I'm not sure what to do as my doctor is rubbish at getting back to me. It's causing me so much stress.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 05:39:11 PM »

Hi LizzieL

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the progesterone. Unfortunately this is true for many of us which is why we stay on a cycle - hard to do I know in your 60's - ie have to put up with a withdrawal bleed -but needs must  ::) .

If you are tapering off the oestrogen I would also taper off the progesterone at the same time rather than stop, just to ensure you continue to protect your lining. Which progesterone are you using?

I would do as you are suggesting ie taper off gradually - it probably won't make much difference to the outcome (whether flushes and sweats return) but will ease you into it gently! This is what I will do when I eventually come off HRT (age 70 maybe if not before, if I can stand the prog and bleeds for a few more years?).

Hurdity x

kdee69

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 07:27:42 PM »

Hi lizzieL. This is exact my what I am currently doing. Mine is due to migraines though. I'm currently down to one pump of oestrogel and have started taking the Provera every other day -please note, that's my decision not any medical advice there. I haven't suffered any ill effects yet but it is only a matter of weeks. My hope is to get to a pump every other day and then eventually none and finally ditch the progesterone. It all depends whether the emotional side effects of meno come back. If they don't, then I?ll stop , if they do then I will try and stay on the lowest dosage possible. Good luck with whatever you decide. X