Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT and migraines  (Read 818 times)

Wikitoria

HRT and migraines
« on: February 26, 2020, 12:00:47 AM »

Hi all

I suffer from daily chronic migraine, which started at 38. I am now 40. I have a host of other peri-menopausal symptoms. I have tried all avenues for migraine prevention, including an extensive stay in hospital. I'm also working with an osteopath and naturopath. My Dr has put me on HRT as a trial to see what it does to my migraines. I'm sleeping better, less hot flushes and less emotional. I'm wanting to know women's experiences with migraine and HRT - specifically how long it took for them to settle. it's been really hard for me to cope.

Sammiejane

Re: HRT and migraines
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 12:02:28 AM »

hi there

it varies some ladies find it worsens migraines other find it helps , any regime needs 3 months really x

Wikitoria

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 12:26:13 AM »

Thank you. I have been told that. I will give it some more time. I'm glad it's helped some of my symptoms, at least! Thank you!

Lolafraola

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 06:02:14 AM »

Hi Wikitoria,

I also suffered from intense and chronic migraines. I used HRT (and triptans and various other pills) to manage them, but very small doses of oestrogel (half a pump daily) did the trick but because I really had no other meno symptoms decided that I needed to just tackle the migraines so went to see a neurologist. Advised 2 high dose aspirins at 500mg each and one 500mg of paracetamol at migraine onset. Works like a dream. If you are able to take aspirin and paracetamol, might be worth a try.

Good luck
L

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 08:24:14 AM »

Wiktoria I suffered with migraines for years, they were part and parcel of my monthly cycle in that I always got them before a period. However, since starting hrt they have almost disappeared, (I say almost I may get 1 a year now). I believe fluctuating hormones may have been the trigger for me, hope this helps and wishing you luck x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 06:45:07 PM »

My main symptom is headache / migraine. Like Perinowpost mine were also part of my monthly cycle, I could predict when they would occur. Since late peri they have got worse and more frequent. I have been on HRT for 18 months and still get them and seem to have constant background headaches, so the HRT doesn't seem to be proviidng much relief which is strange as they were definately hormonally based at least in the past. It could be I am suffering side effects from HRT, or else they are now not related to hormones. It seems to me Wikitoria that there don't seem to be any clear answers. Several people I talk to on here about headaches, have similar experiences. Hopefully for you the HRT will alleviate them.

Wikitoria

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 03:27:30 AM »

Thanks all. Yes, I've read that it may help or make them worse. I'm living on heavy triptan drugs as nothing else will alleviate them, unfortunately including heavy opiates...

Time will tell and I will be patient...

Tc

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »

Hiya wikitoria.

Here is a,couple of links which a member kindly forwarded to me a while ago.  You may find them useful. The first is advice for doctors around HRT and migraine and the 2nd is information for patients.

https://thebms.org.uk/publications/tools-for-clinicians/migraine-and-hrt/

https://www.womens-health-concern.org/help-and-advice/factsheets/migraine-and-hrt/

Xx
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:14:39 AM by Tc »

Wikitoria

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 09:46:55 PM »

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I'm not noticing any difference yet but will stay the course of three months to see if there is any difference!