Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hair loss and evoral sequi  (Read 864 times)

crosscat

Hair loss and evoral sequi
« on: February 26, 2020, 06:33:25 PM »

Hi  everyone, I'm on Evorel Sequi which I've had to buy online. I cant take hormones orally as they make me sick and I have horrendous symptoms without the HRT. But the patches arent controlling my night sweats and vasomotor symptoms that stop me sleeping. I considered cutting a patch in half and using this plus the one on the schedule to up my dose a bit. What's stopping me  is that I have fine hair and it is falling out- a lot- and its now quite noticeable which is really distressing.  I've got blood tests for iron, immunoglobulin and thyroid function next week but I think these are likely to come back normal and it's the HRT that's the culprit- the excess hairloss is  happening after taking Evroel Sequi for 3 months. Is this common? I've heard norethisterone can cause this side effect- but the patch dose is quite low. Has anyone else had this experience with Evorel Sequi and does it improve? Is there any other combination of oestrogen and progestin I could take that isnt oral instead or anything I could take to counter the hair shedding effects of noristherone ? if I go back to my GP I am sure they won't know- they didnt suggest noristherone could be the cause. They've been pretty useless so far although the last doctor I saw (my third appointment )was a lot better and ordered these tests where the others didn't. But I'd need a referral because they don't seem to be able to offer me anything other than femoston which I've tried  but couldnt tolerate.  Or its antidepressants... :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hair loss and evoral sequi
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:52:49 PM »

Have a look at the other threads regarding hair shedding ..... it seems to be a problem for some!

jaycee

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 10:01:34 AM »

crosscat, i had lots of hair loss on Evoral Conti, same progesterone, Norethisterone, so did my daughter who had long thick hair
It is the Norethisterone apparently and gives hair loss as a side effect on the leaflet
I actually have bald patches now, my daughters has just thinned a lot

crosscat

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 12:54:41 PM »

thanks jaycee- I'm finding this really frightening- I dont want to go bald but without the HRT my life is unbearable. I think I'll have to go back to the docs and ask for a referral- need an alternative progestin that wont cause this but choices limited if cant tolerate oral hormones- although havent tried just oral  progesterone- it could be the osetrogen that made me sick when on femsoston and when I tried taking contraceptives. I'll ask my pharmacist too. My Doctor just doesn tseem to be able to know what to do with me. I'll have a look at other threads- thank CLKD- I hope this is reversible if I can change the progesterone!

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 03:55:03 PM »

Same problems as Stella Jane. You could try Utrogestan which is a bit kinder to the hair but still can cause issues. Only one way of finding out CC.
I'm not being flippant btw.
X

crosscat

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 05:57:57 PM »

Hi everyone who's replied. I really appreciate your responses and experiences. My Doc has put me on conti now because the unopposed oestrogen with sequi was causing problems- but conti means more noristherone. It has to be this that's doing for my hair so I'm going to have to ask for a referral because it appears my GP can't precribe utrogestan-it seems an obvious solution so I can't see why I'm not being offered it given I've expressed how worried I am about the hair loss.  Is it only available on referral?   Also does the hair loss slow down in anyone's experience? is it reversible? My GP can't answer these questions  :'(

jaycee

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 08:02:18 PM »

crosscat, my hair hasn't recovered, but i had some hair loss before the Evoral, but evoral did make it much worse and only just about stopped shedding, still have bare patches,
My dermatologist said mine is caused by stress, but i'm not convinced,because the norethisterone did definitely make it worse
He says it will grow back, but had it like this now for over a year