Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie - insomnia is unbearable!  (Read 1113 times)

chocolateaddict

Newbie - insomnia is unbearable!
« on: February 25, 2020, 05:54:28 PM »

I am really struggling to cope with work because I'm just not getting anywhere near enough sleep!  Nytol sometimes helps and sometimes it doesn't, and I also know that I can't keep taking it.  I have only just realised that my insomnia, as well as my struggles to concentrate and how emotional I am, are probably linked to the menopause.  I'm 51 by the way.  I have booked a telephone appointment with the GP for next week as it was too long to wait for a face-to-face appointment.  I'm hoping they will confirm menopause with a blood test and then we can talk about whether HRT is going to make me feel better.  I really can't keep going without sleep!  Any stories of hope?

Dotty

Re: Newbie - insomnia is unbearable!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 05:57:55 PM »

Hi welcome to the forum.
Blood tests are not necessary at your age. Your doctor should go on your symptoms to diagnose menopause x

chocolateaddict

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »

Oh I didn't realise that - thank you very much for replying x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 06:28:06 PM »

Blood tests are reliably unreliable!

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary is useful.  When was your last period? What is waking you - a trip to the bathroom, flushing, hot/cold ..........

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:14:59 PM »

Hi Chocolateaddict.
 :welcomemm:

it's terrible isn't it, not enough sleep. You have my sympathy.
A couple of us use Benedryl to get some sleep, and to help with anxiety, but you already get antihistamine in the Nytol.  Don't know what else to recommend. Sorry.
Glad you've found us anyway, keep posting, ask anything you like.
Hopefully, if you decide to take the HRT route, it?ll help you quickly.

xx

Lotus

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 09:01:02 AM »

My dr gave me Sandrena gel and a week's supply of sleeping tablets. I've just posted about Sandrena. Dr wouldn't give me anymore sleeping tablets but I've got to say they worked and wish I could have some more!

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 09:48:02 AM »

There is hope. My main peri symptoms were anxiety and insomnia. Hrt has made it a lot better. I used to sleep like a log but now am more easily disturbed,but it's the occasional night now rather than every night. Sleeping pills can help break the cycle but I was so dopey the next day it wasn't any better than no sleep.

chocolateaddict

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 07:40:41 AM »

I really appreciate all the replies and it's good to know that I'm not alone or going crazy!  And good to see that there is hope too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »

Maybe have a radio beside the bed or a pile of books/magazines?  The brain can be refocussed. Or do the relaxation exercises from toes upwards.

chocolateaddict

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »

Just came back from the doctor - told her how utterly exhausted I was, but she gave me a bunch of stuff to read and only gave me some sleeping tablets after I really pushed her.  My blood pressure was up, so I can't have HRT at the moment - I don't know if it's just high because of lack of sleep!  I don't know how I'm going to cope with work on Monday  :(

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 05:17:53 PM »

You can have hrt as long as your BP is controlled so you could investigate that route. Some people use melatonin which is the hormone that controls sleep. You can't get it in the UK but can get it sent from the US. There are threads on it if you're interested.