Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi I?m new and not coping well  (Read 1404 times)

clareclare

Hi I?m new and not coping well
« on: February 25, 2020, 02:34:19 PM »

Hello all

My name is Clare, I'm 50 and have been in peri for around 3 years.

My symptoms were literally irregular periods but just lately I've started with a racing heart and anxiety which I'm finding pretty crippling. I can only describe it as jittery. Been given Beta blockers for the worst episodes but it's very frequent and I seem to be a shadow of who I was. My heart beats out of my chest at speed.

Booked for a 24 hour ECG but bloods and BP all normal as was the regular ECG

Looking forward to some reassurance that I'm not going mad with all this!!.

Nice to meet you all x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi I?m new and not coping well
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 03:12:35 PM »

Hi  :welcomemm:  browse round. Make notes.

Many suffer anxiety and/or palpitations during The Change.  I take Propranolol every night to ease early morning anxiety surges.

Not going mad at all!  HORMONES  >:(  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 03:41:30 PM »

Hi Clare. Low oestrogen can lead to palpitations and episodes of irregular/faster heart beat. This can lead to anxiety which causes even more heartbeat changes. It's good you are getting this checked out. I had ectopic beats and palpitations before starting HRT and have had no problems with these since. Has your GP offered any info about HRT? Would you consider it if your tests come back clear?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 04:44:40 PM »

Hi Clare.
Your not going mad. Nearly all of us felt like that. This is what hormones does to us unfortunately. Who knew? 🤷‍♀️
I still suffer with anxiety sometimes, it's really a bloody debilitating nuisance!
Palpitations are bad enough, it's enough to make us go mad!
But be rest assured, your not, glad your tests came back ok.
Keep posting let us know how you are. Any questions will be answered by someone who can help. Hang on in there.
Glad you've found us.
Jd xx

KaraShannon

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 11:11:02 PM »

You're not going mad.  I've had this.  A normal ECG is very reassuring, they can tell almost everything from an ECG, apparently there's 2 main patterns that they look for that need immediate attention.  Everything else is inconvenient, often upsetting but harmless.  Do whatever tests the doctor's want to do, but otherwise try and breathe if it happens, slow deep breath.  Talk to yourself at that point too, telling yourself this is a 'surge' (or that's what it was like for me) and it will pass.

The other thing that helped me was not skipping or delaying meals (empty stomach triggered them), good sleep if you can get it, and plenty of fluids, it does make a difference apparently.

KittyKats

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 05:25:18 PM »

Hi - I am new on here. I have exactly the sae thing as you. It started after lunch one time. I couldn't believe what was happening. My heart began to race for several minutes and I felt very hot. I was also getting very frequent extra beats. I went to my GP who was not reassuring and sent me to causality with it twice.

I am now under the care of a lovely female cardiologist and all my tests have been quite reassuring - just ectopics and a short run SVT. But she things its most likely menopause causing a sinus tachycardia. I am still awaiting the result of a 14 day Zio patch heart monitor.

I am a shadow of my former self. I am nervous travelling anywhere in case I get this pounding racing heartbeat especially on the tube. It seems to be bad after eating and in the morning. I can't believe the menopause has affected me this way. I thought it was more just hot flushes not bloomin palpitations the whole time! My life has shrunk.

Gosh what we girls have to put up with. I have been prescribed HRT by my gynaecologist Oestrogel and Utrogestan. But I'm scared of the side effects from that too. Scared of everything!

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 07:13:07 PM »

Yep,as you can see by all the replies,it's all fairly normal,I've had a few ecg's and all come back normal but sometimes,yes,my heart feels as if it's going to burst through my chest,it's scary but you do just kind of get used to it.At least they?re checking it for you

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 05:36:21 PM »

Hello there clareclare and KittyKats and welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to add that I have had the same experience with palpitations and they are scary. Mine seem to have gone now, fingers crossed, but I still have hormonal surges that cause other problems. Oh the joys eh!

Wishing you both well and keep posting.

K.

Paz23

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 10:22:12 AM »

Hi there, yep I get palpitations too, always a minute or two after putting my head on the pillow at night. At first I thought it was anxiety so I tried steady breathing, emptying my thoughts, all sorts but nothing works. My heart is thumping so hard I'm surprised my husband can't hear it!
After reading loads about perimenopause I concluded that's what it is (along with all the other crappy symptoms) but been having a few chest pains this week so I don't know now.