Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: VA, what do you use? Does it help for you?  (Read 1272 times)

flossie fiddler

VA, what do you use? Does it help for you?
« on: February 24, 2020, 09:16:50 AM »

Hi all, I'm 55 next month, was on Evorel Sequi for 6 years. Back in October I had difficulty getting supplies, and was without patches for a week, with no ill effects, except the occasional flush, which I'm finding manageable. I decided to stay off HRT, but my sex life is suffering big time due to dryness and sex is painful.

I got some lubes (great recommendations on the products pages, even managed to blag some free samples). They've helped with the dryness in as much as it's easier, but it's still painful for me and I think I need some kind of topical hormone to ease the atrophy.

What are people's recommendations? I have an appointment with the nurse practitioner this Weds, and an appointment with HRT doc on 16th March. I always like to be armed with ideas to suggest to them, so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks guys
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:54:39 AM by Flossie Fiddler »

flossie fiddler

Re: VA, what do you use? Does it help for you?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 09:55:51 AM »

Not sure why my apostrophes are showing as question marks. I've edited twice

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 12:20:42 PM »

Hi depends on which device you are typing on ;-)

Get some regular treatment for vaginal atrophy, either vagifem or ovestin.  You don't need any blood tests or examinations, have a talk with the Practice Nurse and ask.  Also, take pain relief regularly as it can ease symptoms.

We have several topics about vaginal atrophy here.

Sammiejane

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »

i use ovestin at the moment i have tried vagifem only for 5 weeks i did find vagifem plumped things up better then the ovestin but gave me very sticky discharge ovestin is a little better although when i was on holiday in the sun i came out in heat rash mega itchy all over chest area and this can be a side effect of ovestin but i take anti histamine now x
i think they both do same thing i am getting bladder irritation with ovestin though the following day even though i've been using a year so whether vagifem would be better for me but can't be asked to change now x

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 02:13:34 PM »

Hi Flossie...I use Vagifem daily internally and cream externally.  Keep in mind it can take several months before you find relief depending on severity.  However for intimacy, some of the newer products might be more suitable.  Intrarosa, Osphena and Im(something or other).  You may want to put these product names in search engine and see what pops up.  Good luck...it's a long journey.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 08:28:19 PM »

I think different products suit different people. I started on vagifem, which I found very convenient, but it gave me terrible burning after a couple of weeks and urinary urgency. The pessaries also used to sometimes come out, or at least bits of them, probably due to them not dissolving due to dryness. I was switched to estriol cream which was good in that it coats inside and out, but it's very messy and I have some difficlties with the applicator (that's just me) so they suggested now things have calmed down I try vagifem again and I'm going to use estriol cream on the outside whilst I've got some. Most people seem to tolerate vagifem really well, but it's trial and error. Good luck.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 09:04:20 PM »

I never find 'ovestin' messy  :-\.  Applicator inserted as far as possible and gently pushed - lay back in a warm bed with good book, sleep - no problems  ::)

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 10:21:02 PM »

I use Vagifem internally and Estriol Cream externally, both at night. When I was drier on the inside than I am now, I used to insert some Yes VM internally every couple of days to help the Vagifem dissolve. Most days I use a little Yes VM just on the edge of the vulva as it's all I need now. I have also had four MonaLisa Touch laser treatments which have helped a lot, but it's not for everyone (and not available on NHS).

JP x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 11:35:30 AM »

I never find 'ovestin' messy  :-\.  Applicator inserted as far as possible and gently pushed - lay back in a warm bed with good book, sleep - no problems  ::)

I'm guessing that estriol is a much greater quantity as its only 10% the strength which probably accounts for the leaking out. Don't know if the applicator is smaller, I find the estriol one big and difficult to insert. My dr hadn't heard of ovestin so wasn't keen to prescribe it!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 12:20:03 PM »

Time to educate your doctor Shropshirelass  :bang: :bang: :bang:  didn't he look in MIMMS?

goldgalaxycat

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »

I've used Estriol twice weekly before bed for about a year. At first it leaked out the next day and was messy, but now when I go to the loo the morning after, I push the cream out. Sounds yucky I know but works for me and it's way cleaner the next day. it's more or less stopped the pain and dryness from VA and I can walk into town and back without needing a wee  :). So good results for me.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 02:50:59 PM »

Tnx for letting us know goldgalaxycat [love it!]

Tc

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 03:54:17 PM »

Hiya flossie.  I prefer  ovestin to estriol 0.1.  Smaller applicator than estriol. Less cream for same dose so far less leakage for me.it has worked well. I dont have a partner but maybe in terms of regular intercourse some ladies prefer vagifem.  It didnt work as well for me but it may be more convenient.

In my experience When the tissues become atrophied  from lack of estrogen they dont respond as well to vaginal moisturisers and lube sinks in and dries out quickly.    Once the area is better estrogonised then lubes and moisturisers seem more effective . 

Good luck x

flossie fiddler

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 11:07:45 PM »

Hi all, thanks for all your responses. I found the VA Facebook group for some brilliant advice (not on there now as I deactivated my account again). I ended up with Vagifem and I'm 5 days into the 2 weeks of a loading dose. So far so good. I'm also using YES VM internally every 3 nights and  YES OB on the vulval area.

The feeling of needing to pee all the time has gone, and everything is feeling more moist. I think I caught the issues before they got too bad so hoping for a good improvement.

Will report back once I've settled into a twice-weekly routine.