Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Would testosterone help?  (Read 848 times)

tbett

Would testosterone help?
« on: February 22, 2020, 12:55:24 PM »

I have been on oestrogel and utrogestran for 9 months, and though I am taking it cyclically I have only had one bleed and occasional spotting. It controlled my symptoms of hot sweats and dry skin and anxiety at first. It hasnt helped the low libido and my joint aches have got worse. I was on 2.5 pumps of the oestrogel but i thought the joint aches were worse so i have reduced it to 2 (cause headache on dropping and feeling tearful). My energy levels are not great. sleep is okay.
I had my testosterone levels checked last year and they were on the upper end of normal but I think I have read that the tests are quite inaccurate?
I have read that testosterone can help with libido, mood and joints, anyone got any ideas?
I am 45 and had an incredibly irregular cycle for the last 10 years, every 4-11 months and then was diagnosed with osteoporosis which was the main reason for going on the HRT. I have had problems with anxiety in that time which i suspect was hormonal.
Things have generally improved but probably could be better!
Thanks

Hurdity

Re: Would testosterone help?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:39:22 AM »

Hi tbett

:welcomemm:

Could there be other reasons for your aching joints? In your position - having osteoporosis at a very early age due to early menopause, I would ask for a couple of tests of oestrogen to check whether you are absorbing it - that is the first thing. If it has eliminated the flushes and sweats then sounds like you must be to some extent. In terms of the number of pumps - it seems so variable amongst different women that it's difficult to say. Maybe your joint aches got worse because your own oestrogen levels were dropping and you are nearer menopause or even post-meno? Testosterone is a tricky one. I would ask for another test and include SHBG and if this is still showing low then maybe ask your doc for a trial of T? You mention anxiety - are you taking anti-depressants at all? If so these can also depress libido. Hope you find an answer!

Hurdity x

tbett

Re: Would testosterone help?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 08:42:14 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,
I have read a lot of your posts and you are full of great useful knowledge, thank you.
I am not on anti depressants. I tried them years ago initially for the anxiety but didn't notice a change and actually the hrt has made more of a difference and lifestyle.
I am a yoga teacher and very active but actually the joint aches don't seem to be related to activity and though my big joints are affected, I notice fingers and toes too, but no swelling and blood tests don't support any other causes. They really come and go too. I will ask for a repeat of hormone blood tests as I have also noticed that my skin dryness has returned as well as VA which originally got better. I am back to the meno clinic in a couple of months and the nurse there was happy to consider testosterone depending on how things were. Thanks agsin