Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Timing of Utrogestan  (Read 923 times)

Angelcakes73

Timing of Utrogestan
« on: February 23, 2020, 10:32:41 AM »

In need of some advice re: Utrogestan use please. Usually you would start on day 15 of each cycle, then on the same day every month (to make things easier) which for me is 1st.

However, I'm now using it every 2 months for 14 days (under supervision of menopause clinic) so having a period after 24 days one month (my usual cycle before HRT) and day 38 the second month (when I use the Utro).

By my reckoning, I'm due to take it on day 24 of my cycle now, instead of 15 which would actually be when my period would normally start - so I'm prolonging it for 2 weeks and subsequently maybe taking it in the wrong phase of my cycle?

Hoping I've explained this well enough to understand but does anyone think I should move myself back to the ?real? day 15 each time?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:37:56 AM by Angelcakes73 »

Hurdity

Re: Timing of Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:33:50 AM »

Hi Angelcakes - I'm not really sure I follow all of this. Once you are peri-menopausal and ovulation happens irregularly then you won't know when you're ovulating but I would say still take the utrogestan every two months as advised by your clinic. It sounds like it won't be possible to sync with your cycle at all really. The important thing is to take the course in order to protect the womb lining from extra oestrogen. Mostly those on longer cycles are very late peri or post-menopause when random bleeds are mostly unlikely to occur.

Hurdity x

Angelcakes73

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 10:24:49 AM »

Hi Hurdity,

Thanks for your reply. I am still taking it every 2 months just wondered whether I should make sure it is always day 15 - rather than 1st of each month which could be my day 24 (or even day 1 as my period would normally turn up that day).

I am 2 years into peri I would say and still having regular periods and unfortunately, severe PMS - the Utro makes it much worse so we are trying to lessen the symptoms.

Does that make more sense? Sorry, it is a bit difficult to explain. X

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 05:49:01 PM »

Yes I see what you mean. Well if your period is consistently coming at the "wrong" time then yes maybe tweak your timing to try to coincide. 1st of the month would make it a bit longer than the average regular cycle, so if peri you could get out of sync anyway. Day 1 is the first day of the bleed irrespective of the actual date - (but then the bleed doesn't necessarily behave itself) so then your utrogestan should be yes Day 15 - but like I said see what happens if you tweak it - but do make a note also of bleeding as well as when you take the utro.

You haven't said how old you are but if you are having bad pms then if you are under 50 maybe one of the COC pills that is similar to HRT might be good initially until you are further towards peri-menopause and ovulating less frequently? There is one called QLAIRA which suppresses ovulation so maybe you wouldn't get such severe pms. Although the progestogen is synthetic it's one of the newer generation type that is better tolerated? Also the oestrogen is like the type in HRT ie estradiol. Might be worth thinking about if you don't get on with this regime after trying it for a few more months?

Hurdity x

Angelcakes73

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:54:30 AM »

Thanks, I will look into that. I'm 47.
Had bad experiences with the pill over the years so might not be suitable but worth investigating. I think I'm still ovulating regularly as it's like a switch has been flicked half way through the month (feel like I have a split personality at times ha ha). I am using the Utro vaginally to avoid the bloating/minimise any symptoms of taking it orally.