Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Incorrect prescription for HRT  (Read 1415 times)

red julie

Incorrect prescription for HRT
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:33:51 PM »

>:( I've been prescribed the wrong type of HRT patches for over 7 months and this has only just been discovered. I have an intact womb but have been on oestrogen only patches. Dr has sent me for an ultrasound scan and a CA125 test. Seeing dr. in a few days for results. Am quite worried as nurse practitioner says this could cause cancer. Any advice ladies?

Sammiejane

Re: Incorrect prescription for HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 03:17:14 PM »

hi what dose of the patches were you on

have you experienced any side effects of that of estrogen dominance x

are you pre or post menopause ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »

Hi!  Your GP is following protocol .  I would ask for a referral to a Menopause Clinic - not a Gynaecologist - to discuss.  7 months probably won't affect your body too much and the scan will see if there is a build up in the womb.  Nurse Practitioner could have explained it in more detail rather than it being a passing comment?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 05:25:16 PM »

It's one of the risks if you take oestrogen long term without prog but after 7 months months it would be extremely unlikely. At least they're doing the right thing now.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 05:28:56 PM »

Hello red julie and welcome to the forum.

Back in the day I accidentally took oestrogen unopposed by progesterone for a year and I was okay. Years later when I was using the correct HRT and had some bleeding I was sent for a hysteroscopy and all was fine.

I think some ladies have even been prescribed oestrogen only to get their levels up.

Try not to worry (difficult I know). You are receiving the correct treatment now and that is the main thing.

Take care and keep us updated.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 06:02:55 PM »

Hi redjulie

:welcomemm:

Great advice from the others. The good news is that if you haven't had any breakthrough bleeding then it is highly unlikely that you would have developed cancer and as said especially after such a short time. Usually the first thing that happens is the lining gets too thick abnormally (endometrial hyperplasia) and can break away sporadically but there are loads of stages before cancer is found. Depending on the outcome of the scan (I presume you will have an transabdominal and a transvaginal) then they might send you for a hysterosocopy (camera) to check and have a look but really I would not be worried at all right now.

Let us know the outcome! I hope the errant doc gets a rocket and is sent for proper training....

Hurdity x

red julie

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »

Thank you ladies for your prompt and reassuring replies.

I have had a monthly bleed since I started on Evorel 50 patches in June 2019. (I had spotting before this on Evorel Conti). When the Evorel 50 patches were unavailable at the beginning of January 2020, I was given Evorel 25 patches by the pharmacist as an alternative. The next day I began bleeding more heavily, and had a constant bleed for about five weeks, day and night with clotting. I saw a nurse practitioner at my local GP surgery in early February,(stellajane, CLKD) and after researching HRT patches she informed me by phone about the risk of cancer, and recommended the Ultrasound scans, abdomen and vaginal (Hurdity) which I had last Saturday. The results of the scans show that existing cysts have doubled in size and the endometrium has thickened. However, CA125 levels are at 20, so that's slightly reassuring.
Note to Sammiejane, I'm 63 years old and post menopausal.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 03:54:45 PM »

I would ask her for a copy of the cancer risks  ;)

Let us know how you get on!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 07:33:28 PM »

Hi redjulie - thanks for letting us know. This is shocking - the wrong prescription. Did you check with your doctor about the bleeding following the prescription of and changing to Evorel 50 and how long were you on Evorel conti? I am puzzled as to why you were given these when you were on Evorel conti previously?

Anyway you are dealing with the now - so depending on the thickness of the endometrium do you know what treatment is being suggested? Provided your womb is OK (no complex hyperplasia and atypical cells etc) then there is no reason not to continue with (the right) HRT.  I don't know anything about uterine cysts?

When you see your doctor, please insist on a referral and if necessary an urgent hyseroscopy and biopsy, depending on the outcome of the scans and ask about possible treatments

Try not to worry - at least you are now being investigated and under the care of your doctor.

Hurdity x

christinedownsouth

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »

This has happened to me also .. I was prescribed Elleste Solo and quite a high dosage ... within a fortnight I was struck by lower back pains and the DR I spoke to about that noticed that I was on the wrong one and changed me to Femoston, and now I have a vaginal infection .. beginning to feel a bit cursed by HRT at the moment, let alone seeing any benefits!!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 08:04:36 PM »

Christine ....... is it an infection - do get some treatment for atrophy!

christinedownsouth

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 08:23:48 PM »

Hi CLKD.... using the term loosely... my next step is to chase the gp tomorrow for my swab results

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 07:44:57 AM »

Ah - well do make sure.  Get a urine sample sent to a Lab to see whether it grows a Bug in which case you may need specific anti-biotic treatment.

Do read the threads on vaginal atrophy - urine infection type symptoms can mimic atrophy really really well!

red julie

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 07:42:57 PM »

Thank you ladies for your prompt and reassuring replies.

I have had a monthly bleed since I started on Evorel 50 patches in June 2019. (I had spotting before this on Evorel Conti). When the Evorel 50 patches were unavailable at the beginning of January 2020, I was given Evorel 25 patches by the pharmacist as an alternative. The next day I began bleeding more heavily, and had a constant bleed for about five weeks, day and night with clotting. I saw a nurse practitioner at my local GP surgery in early February,(stellajane, CLKD) and after researching HRT patches she informed me by phone about the risk of cancer, and recommended the Ultrasound scans, abdomen and vaginal (Hurdity) which I had last Saturday. The results of the scans show that existing cysts have doubled in size and the endometrium has thickened. However, CA125 levels are at 20, so that's slightly reassuring.
Note to Sammiejane, I'm 63 years old and post menopausal.

Hi ladies,

Have been to the local hospital today for a referral to a Gynae consultant after having the US scans and the CA125 blood test. I asked my GP for the referral - he did apologise for prescribing the wrong Evorel patches last June.

Today the consultant did a pelvic exam, took two swabs (Guess these were cervical), and I had another CA125 test along with other blood tests for any possible cancer markers. They have recommended a hysteroscopy with biopsy and more US scans in 5-6 weeks. At least the consultant has been thorough, the GP who incorrectly prescribed the HRT patches last June was rather dismissive of the CA125 results he asked for, and said, "I'm not worried about cysts, they come and go"!!

The consultant seemed concerned about the thickening of the endometrium - 3mm last August and 5.5mm a couple of weeks ago.

This is an update, ladies. Thank you for all your posts. When I get the results of all these tests, I'll post again.

Hi redjulie - thanks for letting us know. This is shocking - the wrong prescription. Did you check with your doctor about the bleeding following the prescription of and changing to Evorel 50 and how long were you on Evorel conti? I am puzzled as to why you were given these when you were on Evorel conti previously?

Anyway you are dealing with the now - so depending on the thickness of the endometrium do you know what treatment is being suggested? Provided your womb is OK (no complex hyperplasia and atypical cells etc) then there is no reason not to continue with (the right) HRT.  I don't know anything about uterine cysts?

When you see your doctor, please insist on a referral and if necessary an urgent hyseroscopy and biopsy, depending on the outcome of the scans and ask about possible treatments

Try not to worry - at least you are now being investigated and under the care of your doctor.

Hurdity x