Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Very low oestrogen levels but still bleeding  (Read 736 times)

rolercoasterhell

Very low oestrogen levels but still bleeding
« on: February 24, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »

I have had a horrific time in perimenopause which I believe has been going on for ten years or more.
Over the last two years my cycles have become more irregular and I am now missing the odd one.
My LH and FSH are consistently raised and my last oestrogen reading was 33 (pmol).
Apparently 33 is post menopausal level and I should not be getting periods.
Is 33 low and, if it is, why am I still getting periods?
Anyone have oestrogen readings in the post menopausal level when still menstruating?
Rollercoaster x

Hurdity

Re: Very low oestrogen levels but still bleeding
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 05:39:35 PM »

Hi rolercoasterhell

:welcomemm:

The oestrogen levels from blood tests are only a snapshot in time and will vary from day to day, hour to hour, especially if you are peri-menopausal. Yes that is a low reading but it depends when in your cycle it was taken? I imagine probably just before your period maybe or at least somewhere in the second half of your cycle? If you are still having periods then just before ovulation it will be much higher than this.

Peri-menopause officially starts once you have consistently variable cycle lengths so in your case probably two years, but hormones start to go awry before this even though you are ovulating regularly and pms symptoms often worsen, which sounds like what you have been experiencing. It can be a miserable time :( but you have come to the right place for help and support!

It's really all about symptoms and cycles rather than blood tests (unless you are under 45) which are not recommended above age 45. So it's the other way round - you are getting periods therefore you are probably peri-menopausal if you fall within the age group, irrespective of the blood tests.  Not sure why the doc would be doing these now? It is important to tests for FSH etc if you are under 45 because you would be recommended to start HRT whether or not you are experiencing symptoms in order to help protect heart and bones.

Are you getting symptoms that you would like to alleviate? Please ask if we can help further :)

Hurdity x

rolercoasterhell

Re: Very low oestrogen levels but still bleeding
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 10:09:17 PM »

Thank you Hurdity
X