Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Weak hands/wrists  (Read 1032 times)

ACP

Weak hands/wrists
« on: February 20, 2020, 01:04:12 PM »

I am post menopause and have been for a while, now aged 56.  For years I have been strong and capable, the go-to person in the family who could open jars, lift feedsacks (we have horses), carry heavy suitcases etc etc. 

Increasingly now I have to ask husband/children/random people to open things for me, I struggle to get a 25kg feedsack off the ground never mind over my shoulder etc.

I am pretty fit - I do pilates 2 x week, I walk each day and jog a couple of times a week.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could do to stop me becoming even weaker?!

Many thanks.

jaypo

Re: Weak hands/wrists
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 01:16:10 PM »

Hi ACP,welcome to the forum :)
I'm exactly like that too,my hands feel weaker. I go running too and generally keep fit and eat healthy,I'm also 56 have you tried weights? I do them 5/6 days a week,only for 5 or so minutes but it helps also you get those small hand exorcising things,where you squeeze the two handles together?Theyre very stiff but they strengthen arms and hands too(sorry for the rubbish description  ;D )

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 02:10:36 PM »

I would get checked out, it sounds a bit more than you might expect from aging. If all is OK then weights and exercise will help. Are you on HRT? I have found testosterone helps but mine was more that I pulled muscles a lot. I'm not as strong as I used to be and it's more of an effort but I still lift feed bags (couple of years older than you). Have you lost muscle mass or just strength?

ACP

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 09:18:01 AM »

Thanks both.  I haven't taken HRT but am now using Estring for VA reasons.  I was wondering about weights and I need to get back into the gym having had a shoulder injury which took blooming ages to fix.  Don't think it's muscle mass that I've lost, I just feel weaker so I will talk to the GP and see what they suggest.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 05:16:45 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop off muscles may become lax!  Do you find wearing wrist splits useful when lifting?  I would self refer to a physio and ask for simple exercises too.  Not that I would remember to do any  ::)

Horses: do tell us more?  Morgans?   ;)