Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estrogel top up and oral HRT query  (Read 758 times)

shoppingqueen

Estrogel top up and oral HRT query
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »

I've been given one pump of estrogel as top up to Femoston 2/10 by Endo as she feels I'm not absorbing oral HRT and is going to retest estro hormones after two weeks as they were on low side.
She doesn't want to switch to full gel or patches just yet.
I've only used for 2 days but have noticed a bit of a spike in flushing etc is this normal when adding in??
I'm going to stick with it for the two weeks as I?ll be interested to see the impact on levels.
Any help would be great- never used a transdermal before x

Hurdity

Re: Estrogel top up and oral HRT query
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 08:50:19 PM »

Hi shoppingqueen - if you are early to mid peri-menopausal I presume your doctor thinks you will be getting sufficient progesterone as a result of your own ovulation, to protect the womb lining - otherwise it could thicken as a result of the extra oestrogen. Maybe you are being monitored regularly by means of uterine scans?

Paradoxically some women do seem to experience a (temporary?) increase in flushing when increasing their oestrogen, so I have read. The key is always to increase slowly so as not to shock your body and cause to to react! Tachyphylaxis also can occur (high doses no longer work and symptoms come back) if supra-physiological levels of oestrogen are attained ie higher than the maximum that occur normally, but this I gather is most likely to happen during implants, if it's going to, although not sure there is research on your regime - ie adding gel to tablets in peri?

Hopefully all will settle soon.

Hurdity x

shoppingqueen

Re: Estrogel top up and oral HRT query
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 10:14:08 PM »

Thanks Hurdity!
This makes sense and I did wonder if the flushing was just a reaction.
The doctor is going to repeat bloods in 2 weeks to check not overdosed and I think plan then will be to drop oral and increase to 2 pumps and add prog separately. Thinks I'm no longer absorbing oral - lots of gastro issues so I probably need to try transdermal.
Thank you 🙏