Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Post Menopause blues  (Read 727 times)

sistaP

Post Menopause blues
« on: February 18, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and not quite sure where to begin.

I had a complete hysterectomy at 42 as a result of a very large and worrisome ovarian cyst (in brief, post surgery tests proved to be borderline issues with cyst but it was 'be on safe side' situation). This created a Sudden Menopause situation induced by surgery.
My menopause path since then has been varied. I have used HRT, twice in tablet form for periods of time in my 40s, but opted ultimately to cope without for probably all the potential health concerns most women do. Though I suspect differing reports of over a decade ago probably influenced recommendations and decisions made back then.
I'm now 58, and post menopausal, though my menopausal time seemed to go on for some years. I have used Vagifem for a few years now and topical vaginal moisturisers. I try to remember to take supplements like Menopace and so forth.
However, I still feel tired, anxious, low mood, loss of libido and of course VA. It all feels a bit of a catch 22 situation, cause and effect etc.
I recently asked for advice from the GP about HRT patches or similar, and had a blood test for androgen levels (it was normal).
The GP took advice and is basically unhappy to prescribe any HRT at my age after such a long time even with the Vagifem. Plus as I was diagnosed borderline Type 2 diabetic 4 years ago (family predisposition not weight or diet related as I'm good on all that, and no medication, regular checks show things well managed). GP was lovely but can't help other than to refer me to Gynae Hospital to see if they can help, and not sure how likely that will be, awaiting news on appointment. Other than that it's going private and that's not an option financially and goes against the grain with me.

I know in part it's my age and stage, but it feels a bit crap that there's so little out there in the way of guided medical support when actually at 50+ , 60+ such as Well Woman clinics etc we've all still got the potential of lives to live and enjoy above and beyond menopause!

So my post is really to put feelers out there and see if others have similar experiences and what did they find helped? Most especially with VA and loss of libido, though low mood advice welcome too!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/experiences shared! xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post Menopause blues
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 05:18:37 PM »

Firstly - welcome.  2ndly - some ladies have to use 'vagifem' every night, sometimes two doses - in order to keep symptoms at bay.

Maybe ask your GP for a referral to a menopause clinic for up-2-date advice?  Not a gynaecologist as they know nearly as little as many GPs seem to know!  Ask your GP to alter the referral route.

How much will a private consultation actually be?  If it gets you onto a medication regime which works, a payment may well be worth while.  Some GPs will prescribe HRT if backed by a Menopause Clinic.  Goes against the grain has never been on my radar - I've had private and NHS treatment.  Often a Consultant working for the NHS will provide private consults too - they cannot be full-time on the NHS as private work is done in their down time.  They could be farming sheep, serving or doing private clinics ;-).

Is low mood associated with your hormones or do you need appropriate Anti-depressant medication for 8-9 months? 

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.

sistaP

Re: Post Menopause blues
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »

Thank you for your response, it's been really helpful. I think I will definitely increase Vagifem dose, I haven't done that for a while and as it's low dose seems sensible to do that. Regarding GP and referrals etc, you?re probably right, as an ardent NHS supporter I'm always loathe to look at private treatment but I am also aware that I need to try and resolve this if possible. I will speak to my GP again. Anti depressants are a last resort for me, if I need to I will speak to my GP about that. The keeping of a diary is a useful idea, I've done that in the past for other things.
Just talking like this is helpful too, it's easy to forget sometimes that you?re not alone!
Many thanks! 😊