Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Please could I have some advice re HRT?  (Read 835 times)

HarvestMoon

Please could I have some advice re HRT?
« on: February 16, 2020, 01:55:03 PM »

Hiya, I would really appreciate some advice from you knowledgeable ladies please.
I'm 53 and am now 10 months without a period, although I had gone around 8 months without prior to my last one.
I'm lucky as I don't particularly suffer with any dryness, but I am waking up every night, every 2 hours quite warm (despite a 1 tog quilt!) and then I'll have a wee. Often I can't get back to sleep and I'm now I'm knackered, really down in the dumps and basically can't be arsed with much. I'm also a bit short tempered and narky, which is not like me 😳 This has been going on for over 18 months. I've been using Vagifem 3 times a week for the last 7 months and it's not made any difference.

I do a lot of exercise and am really appreciating the lack of periods as I road cycle and swim.

So, having done some research and looking at Louise Newson's website I would like to try Oestrogen Gel and Utrogestan inserted vaginally. So here's my questions.

Firstly, as I'm 53 and 10 months period free, I would like to take Utrogestan every night, rather than have a break as I don't want periods back. I know that's 2 months early, but considering my age and lack of periods, would that be ok ? And I know I'll have to fib to my GP ...and also that I might start to bleed for 3 to 6 months

Secondly, to take Utrogestan vaginally, which I've read means less risk of side effects, how do I insert it?

Any help you can offer would be great.

Thankyou

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Please could I have some advice re HRT?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »

:welcomemm:   Why did your GP prescribe 'vagifem'?  It should make a difference, some ladies need to use it nightly.

HarvestMoon

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »

Hi CLKD, it was prescribed for the frequent loo trips. I'm going to start using it nightly and see how I go on with doing that.
Thanks very much

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 03:46:37 PM »

I also find taking pain relief for 2 days also helps. 

Browse round. Make notes.  Maybe decide which symptom you would like to ease first, put it into the search box on here. 

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »

Hi you can take utrogestan without a break at any time, but there is a possibility that you will get breakthrough or irregular bleeding. as you are 10 months without a period then you should be fine.

I take Utrogestan orally without any problems. Try not to listen to all the horror stories about taking it orally. X

HarvestMoon

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 03:58:57 PM »

Dotty, thank you..
 It was on Dr Louise Newson's website where I read about taking it every night. I'm pretty clueless to be honest, but I definitely  don't want periods back.
I'll try increasing Vagifem to nightly initially and see how that goes.

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 04:11:39 PM »

Harvest Moon.....there's no guarantee that your periods would come back. It depends where you are in menopause. You are not post menopause until you've been period free for 12 months.  Some ladies can go 10 or 11 months without a period and then have one. Hopefully you?ll be ok and won't have another period. You won't know until you try. X

HarvestMoon

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 04:18:59 PM »

Dotty, thank you. Please may I ask, do you take Utrogestan every night? Hope that's not too personal a question
😊

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »

Hi - nothing is too personal on here.  1 can put product names into the search box to see what pops up too.  Most topics have been discussed here at least once ;-)

Dotty

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 05:16:43 PM »

Harvest Moon....yes I take it every night x

HarvestMoon

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 05:48:56 PM »

Dotty, CLKD thankyou x

kdee69

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 07:03:17 AM »

HarvestMoon, I have sent you a PM X