Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause  (Read 802 times)

Anotherorchid

Perimenopause
« on: February 15, 2020, 08:19:47 PM »

Hi. New here. I'm 41 and have been told that I'm probably perimenopausal. After being regular as clockwork, my period was two weeks late. I thought had symptoms of ovarian cancer, bloating, change in bowel habits, loss of appetite, so my doctor tested my Ca125, which was 13, in the normal range. She also tested FSH which was very high (I don't know the number) and LH which was normal. Two weeks after that period I started spotting, with cramps, which has now been going on 7 days. I'm supposed to be having an ultrasound but I haven't even got a date for it yet. I don't have classic menopause symptoms apart from not being able to sleep or concentrate and anxiety. I'm scared my symptoms, especially the bleeding, are something more sinister. I also noted when I briefly saw my blood results that my TSH was high, but no one seems to have mentioned that to me. Is this pattern of bleeding common in perimenopause? Is my high FSH a worry at 41? I know I should ask my GP but I can't get an appointment for 2 weeks. Thanks for any help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »

Yep.  Sounds like peri from where I'm sitting.   :welcomemm:

My periods waxed and waned for years.  Then stopped.    I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years though  ::)

Your GP has done blood tests.  Ultra-sound may be a while B4 you get an appt..

The Change - does what it says on the tin ;-)

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 08:28:26 PM »

Sounds like peri menopause to me too x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 09:27:44 PM »

Hello Anotherorchid and welcome to the forum.

I can't help with your problem specifically but the ladies here represent all varieties of peri meno and meno. I am sure they will reassure you that your symptoms are normal.

When you see your GP I suggest you ask for an explanation about your TSH levels. These could indicate that your thyroid is malfunctioning and this could be adding to your hormone imbalance.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

Anotherorchid

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 09:58:25 PM »

Thank you CLKD, Dotty and Kathleen for responding so quickly and being reassuring. It's all come as a big surprise at 41. I think I've developed health anxiety over these past months, and I'm continually thinking of the worse case scenario. Next thing to think about is HRT, which my doctor says is less risky than not taking it at my age. I already have osteopenia, but I'm worried about the breast cancer risk, particularly when I don't feel that I'm really suffering menopause symptoms. But I need the ultrasound scan before I can start any HRT anyway. I don't know how to weigh up the risks of taking it against not taking it.