Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: At my wits end with all this  (Read 8922 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: At my wits end with all this
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »

I think that so many GPs are part-time.  Or Locums so will be moving on.  Or don't have any interest in womens' health or are too young to even consider menopause as a speciality?  At least my male GP recognised my vaginal atrophy symptoms but hey! he's my age and has a wife  ;) ; and listens  :)

We should never feel at 'wits end' with any medical problem.  It is time that GPs had as much time as necessary to listen to patients.  Less people would then be inclined to go to A&E with 'simple' problems which would free up time and beds for the really urgent cases.  I have to say that I never feel rushed in my GP appts.. 

Wrensong

« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2020, 08:05:44 PM »

Surely stimulating debate does develop, Hurdity?  I'm sorry you felt that meant you had to repeat yourself if it was tiresome for you.  I do find it difficult not to engage when interesting points are raised in a thread, much as we would if we were all sitting together in a room.  Tangential issues would naturally develop there & to me that's part of the value of the forum - we learn from a range of views that arise spontaneously.

Like I've said so many times, most of these very individualised and non-standard compounded products are beyond the reach of most women (costwise) and therefore to promote it on here is of niche interest only for the privileged few (who are able to save up etc)

I cannot agree with the statement that informing the forum of all options available is somehow inappropriate.  I come from a very working class background where being financially comfortable has never featured, so I know only too well that many reading will unfortunately be unable to afford private healthcare.  I also worked for the NHS for years & feel passionately about it.  But as stated earlier, I believe strongly in the right to choose for ourselves how we manage our own precious health & that the exchange of information here about all that's available out there empowers women to do just that.  I don't mean to be disrespectful to your view, which in this case differs from mine, but also feel I have the right to express my opinions in response to points others have raised whether or not the thread has meandered from the original topic.

You have my absolute admiration Hurdity, for your tireless efforts to help so many women on this forum.  Your knowledge is mind-boggling & very valuable to the forum & that you obviously care so much about equality in healthcare is touching, but some of us come here very unwell, desperate & at our wits' end & in such circumstances I think knowledge & experience of all options available should be welcomed.

I apologise to the OP and anyone else reading this thread if responding to Hurdity's post has continued to take it in a direction that is not of interest to others & to you Hurdity if I have misunderstood the way a forum should work.  This is my first & I am still learning how it should operate.
Wx

CLKD

« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2020, 08:08:32 PM »

I also feel that we are 'sitting in the Pub. discussing, meandering, returning to the topic ...... '

The written word is static.  It's about filtering what is offered up as experiences, using what might be appropriate today and shelving the rest for later use.

Wrensong

« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2020, 08:08:52 PM »

Stella, yes all patches it seems are not created equal!  I'm sorry about the prog situation - I thought you had probably been through the lot.  We so need more options.
Wx

westie

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2020, 08:25:41 AM »

Morning everyone

Gosh! I never thought my post would cause so much interesting discussion!

Hurdity in answer to your question yes the Newson Clinic did suggest a longer cycle and that is what I am going to do. I really hope I absorb better from a patch than the gel and that then the Utrogestan won't be quite so unbearable. Who knows? Trial and error. Have just completed my second week and can't say I feel better/different to how I was on the gel but will be interested to see the outcome.

Am planning on asking my GP for a blood test to check oestrogen levels ( hopefully she will do this once she has received the letter from Newson Clinic).  However, if this regime doesn't work and I am still struggling I may have the hassle of finding an alternative GP who is willing to help or make another trip to Stratford on Avon.

Sadly, given the intense pressure the NHS is under especially at the present time, I think our hopes of a fully comprehensive, knowledgeable and individualised  Menopause  care is still a long way off.

W xx

CLKD

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2020, 09:05:20 AM »

.......... and Good Luck from me.   :tulips2:

Wrensong

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2020, 10:32:00 AM »

Good morning Westie,

Gosh! I never thought my post would cause so much interesting discussion!

Same happened to me a few years ago - I started a thread with what I thought was an innocent question about whether anyone had found Testosterone improved their sleep & came back a couple of days later to check for replies, only to find the thread had been shut down! :o ;D

Glad to know you've found the discussion here interesting & don't object to it having gone off topic in places.

Very pleased to know Newson Health were able to suggest a way forward & were able to endorse trying a non-standard approach that many GPs would not be comfortable with.  I hope your GP supports this when you see him/her & if not, that you manage to find one who will, to avoid the long trip back to Newson & the expense of having to continue with private treatment.

Not sure what patch brand you are trying, but I've just had bloods that showed very good absorption from 25mcg Estradot, as mentioned earlier.  Hopefully when your oestrogen has had time to build on the patches, you will feel much better on the dreaded Utro if you prefer to stick with that for the prog part.  Can I ask whether any other form of prog was suggested as an alternative at Newson?

Sadly, given the intense pressure the NHS is under especially at the present time, I think our hopes of a fully comprehensive, knowledgeable and individualised  Menopause  care is still a long way off.
  I agree, which is what a lot of the debate on this thread has been about.

I think the Newson consultation was a choice you were wise to make given your situation.  Everything crossed for you that you will feel so much better on the patches & that the long cycle works well for you.
Wx
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 04:10:26 PM by Wrensong »

westie

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2020, 01:27:08 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Stella jane she has suggested 6/8 week cycles or 3 months ( obvs Under supervision but as have had ablation less chance of substantial womb build up).

Am thinking i?ll do eight weeks to let the patch try and load me up with oestrogen ( Estradot 50mgs) and then try and persuade my GP to do a blood test to see where i?m at. Def taking Utro vaginally to lessen side effects ( haha).

Wrensong yes other forms of progesterone were suggested but to be honest it is me who wants to try and persevere with the utro as a more body identical option. If that fails though I will consider others before taking the drastic step of hysterectomy.

Will keep you posted . Thanks again girls for all your support

W xx

Mary G

« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2020, 02:08:58 PM »

westie, that sounds like a very good plan.  Because you have had an ablation (something I considered myself) and you are having regular uterine scans, you can afford to be very flexible and in your situation I would push for the longest possible cycle, preferably three months.   

My gynaecologist tried to get me onto a three monthly cycle but my womb lining breaks away voluntarily at about 8mm so I only every got to about six weeks before breakthrough bleeding but obviously this will not be a problem for you. 

I would definitely recommend blood tests after a few weeks because it's vital to establish how well you are absorbing the oestrogen.

Keep us posted.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2020, 04:55:16 PM »

Surely any conversation tends to ebb and flow and go off at tangents? If we were all in a pub, chatting away, surely no one would rap their knuckles on the table and announce 'No, no we were talking about ABC so we cannot start discussing XYZ now'. That's not how conversation or even debate works - and I speak as someone who was the star of her debate team at school <polishes medal>

I am fortunate that we can afford private healthcare if necessary, and God knows it was going private that finally rescued me from the confusion & ignorance displayed by the well meaning, but uninformed, NHS. I'm sorry, but I wasn't going to risk my mental health any further just because another suffering woman elsewhere couldn't afford private medicine. But, in recompense I was very happy to pass on all the valuable advice and knowledge that Dr Annie Evans and Prof John Studd gave to me in their consultations. As I recall it was thanks to reading MaryG's posts that I was even made aware of the work of Prof Studd, for which I was incredibly grateful.

To avail yourself of private medicine and treatment, to only then keep its secrets to yourself could be deemed elitist? But to avail yourself of private treatment and then pass on that knowledge to as many others as possible is surely altruistic.

westie

« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2020, 05:34:15 PM »

Completely agree Gypsy RoseLee

As I've said before knowledge is power and why shouldn't we all have access to that knowledge so we can make the right, well informed decisions about our own health.

W xx

CLKD

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2020, 05:58:36 PM »

:thankyou:  GRL!   :tulips2:

Also - by going to a Private Clinic and opting for a private prescription and/or surgery, it takes that person out of the waiting list for the NHS, gets people back to work quicker .........

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2020, 06:41:03 PM »

That's s very good point CLKD. By moving over to the private sector, because my issues were obviously too convoluted for the NHS, I also removed myself from any NHS Menopause Clinic register (tried 2 of them). So obviously I freed up a place for another woman with more straight forward needs.

Mary G

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2020, 07:02:01 PM »

Very well said GRL, I think this is becoming ridiculous now.

A forum is supposed to be about shared experiences and exchanged views and it is not for one member to decide whether or not private health care is allowed to be discussed.  We are supposed to opening up debate, not closing it down because we don't agree with it.

I'm pleased that my posts on the Professor Studd regime helped you GRL.  That's the whole point of this forum isn't it?  His regime worked well for me for a number of years until I finally hit the buffers on the dreaded Utrogestan.

If women like myself are unable to find solutions via the NHS then why not find a solution in the private sector?  I appreciate that not everyone can afford to do this but not everyone can afford holidays either so do we close down the holiday thread on here?  Where do you draw the line?

Women join this forum desperate for solutions - let's not forget, westie's thread was entitled 'At my wits end with all this - and it is only right that all experiences, both NHS and private, are made available.  We are not children that need to be protected from ourselves.

For the minority who may be interested, I'm starting a new thread on compounded hormones (aka bespoke hormones) in the Alternatives section subject to the approval of the regulars on there!

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2020, 07:17:29 PM »

It's a Forum.  Maybe remember what that stands for ;-)

I would put out health first, if necessary paying for treatment even though we are no longer covered by Company Insurance: B4 thinking of booking a holiday etc..  If we both feel well we can relax even if it means staying at home.  Which I love.  My ponds and bathroom give me daily pleasure. 

Also, very often private treatment isn't as expensive as people fear it might be! 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7