Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: My husband is making pancakes  (Read 1586 times)

dahliagirl

My husband is making pancakes
« on: February 25, 2020, 01:48:09 PM »

Today is Shrove Tuesday and my dearest, who has recently retired, has decided we need pancakes for lunch.

So far I have listened to the sound of the stick blender  ??? and the scraping of frying pan  ::) and there is a slight singed tinge to the air  ??? ::) :-X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: My husband is making pancakes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 02:32:18 PM »

;D.  - the important thing is to have the pan HOT ENOUGH. Apparently.  Grin and bear it ;-).  What time's tea?

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 02:41:15 PM »

They were a bit soggy/crunchy but he did ok

I gently suggested turning the heat up CLKD - that was the problem with them sticking.  ;D

I love it that he is cooking and try not to dampen his enthusiasm. You can't TEACH him so that is why I am on here, complaining about the use of the stick blender, rather than the mixer.  ;D

He did roast brisket at the weekend which turned out very well.

Barnacle

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 02:43:53 PM »

I act really, really grateful and smile sweetly when mine serves up the cremated batter. His saving grace is that he can make a damn good curry!

Two hoots

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 03:27:21 PM »

My OH makes a lovely Victoria sponge, we follow the same recipe and he makes me supervise but his is so much lighter  ;D

I made pancakes on Sunday but we are having more today I love them, over done or underdone I'd eat them  :)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 03:52:59 PM »

Don't like stodgy pancakes.  Always white sugar and lemon juice  :-*

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 04:39:35 PM »

We had honey and lemon - very medicinal  ;D

I think men need some encouragement to cook, and also knowledge of nutrition ( they will happily cook fry ups etc).

My father was widowed earlier than expected and had never had to cook in his life, as when he left home, you had digs that included meals.  He has had to learn very late in life and has some very odd ideas of what is healthy. (This also has the added bonus of getting some decent meals if you don't die :D )

Barnacle

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 04:48:42 PM »

I am all for encouraging, but why the hell do they feel the need to use so many pots/pans/utensils etc, only to then try to create a new version of Jenga, when they pile they up after they have finished.

Two hoots

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 05:01:56 PM »

Oh yes why use one bowl when you can use three  ;D

My OH also doesn't turn off the hand mixer before lifting it out of the bowl and sprays mixture within a two foot radius of the bowl  :o

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 06:18:34 PM »

:o. a mixing bowl?  What's wrong with a fork  :D [what, you could afford a fork, we had to make do with a wooden spoon .... ]

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 07:10:53 PM »

Damn!! - I knew it was this week but my demented brain said Wednesday! I even said to my husband who cooked a chinese stir fry today with the last of the chicken and tons of veg, that he should have saved it for tomorrow so that he could make it into the pancake filling (I make the batter mixture) - he cooks Mon-Thurs. Now I am so full I can't even make any!!

When I just told my husband this he said......drum roll.... "I couldn't give a toss about pancake day...."  ;D

Hurdity x

PS he does normally enjoy pancakes!

Sparrow

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 09:27:11 AM »

I did a 'fluffy American recipe', for a change.  Worked very well and I prefered them to the traditional.