Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Isolation Hospitalts  (Read 1436 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Isolation Hospitalts
« on: April 11, 2020, 12:34:51 PM »

In these days of self isolation with the coronavirus, may I ask your readers if any of them remember the Baton[? Barton  ? ] Manor Isolation Hospital situated in Harecoft Road, Wisbech.

I believe it was used for the treatment and care of tuberculosis, polio and small pox victims, ending its days, I believe, as a hotel, being subsequently demolished at a date I cannot recall.

Hopefully, some of your readers may be able to fill the gaps with further details of this lost Wisbech institution.

I wonder how many of these buildings still stand?

Sparrow

Re: Isolation Hospitalts
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 12:49:40 PM »

We had one near where I was born a brought up.  The Lenham Chest hospital was for TB patients and was demolished a few years ago.  It's now a elite housing estate.   

https://historiclenham.weebly.com/countryside.html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:52:35 PM by Shadyglade »

Two hoots

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »

There was one near here, it was always known as the isolation hospital even though it was a small local hospital for years afterwards, it was called officially Mynydd Mawr hospital ;D it's also a housing estate now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »

I suspect that a) the feeling of being dumped 'cos kids were told much and b) being surrounded by death and c) having to sleep in the open  :o would be enough!