Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Oophorectomy and hysterectomy?  (Read 682 times)

Luna79

• First Flush
Oophorectomy and hysterectomy?
« on: February 11, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »

Dear all,

I will ask for surgery next week cause PMDD is killing me. I have had 3 months of Lupron with hrt (100 mcg estradiol patch, 100 mg Utrogestan, little bit testosterone).

I am still doubting:
- BSO only or
- BSO + Hysterectomy

I am somewhat progesterone tolerant, 100 mg Utrogestan continuous is okay (I get crazy if it fluctuates, bad withdrawal symptoms).

But progesterone Completely kills my libido even while on testosterone (1,8 nmol/l)

Please share your experiences with me. I wish to hear your stories on this.

is it doable for you to have continuous or cyclical progesterone add back? Maybe even only once in 3 months. Utrogestan or Mirena IUD?

Or better to ask for full hysterectomy?

What are the longterm benefits for keeping my womb?
I would just love to have some libido back.

Sammiejane

Re: Oophorectomy and hysterectomy?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 11:39:11 PM »

hi

i had full hysterectomy and oopherectomy at the age of 35 for adenomyosis and severe pelvic pain .
initially i was told that only my womb would be removed which i was happy about as this would cure the adenomyosis as it grows in the womb .
however at my pre op they then advised that due to the pelvic pain they felt it would be better to take ovaries to as hormones can cause the pain and leaving them could not guarantee the pain would go same as i guess pmdd .
i was cheated i feel as menopause was not explained to me or symtoms whether it could happen immediately or in my case 4 yrs later , i didn't research i?m one of this people i get on with it recovered in 2 weeks back to work in 4 no meno symtoms felt great till 4 yrs later and trying to find a hrt to work and feel balanced is a nightmare plus the side effects hrt brought for me being  hairloss weight gain fatigue zero libido no energy
i've been taking estrogen only for a year but felt crap mood up n down aniexty panic socially withdrawn no mojo but plus side my pain had gone , would this have gone even if i kept my ovaries i will never no abs feel robbed of the chance . sometimes the blood supply to ovaries can shut down be severed in the op or ovaries go to sleep 1-5 yrs after i was told and so i didn't have to have a second lot of surgery if the pain was no better .
i question the fact they took my ovaries my supply of hormones to give me artificial ones however they thought give her estrogen she will be fine but not everyone tolerates hrt and one hormone does not make up for loosing 3

currently i?m on 2 pumps gel and progesterone utrogestan 100mg every night and apart from headaches feel better

it's your choice if i could go back i would of kept my ovaries , my mother in law had hysterectomy at 29 due to hemerage but kept her ovaries she's now in menopause at 48 so goes to show the ovaries can continue longer then they say .
i sound bitter i know because i am because what i?m going through now at 40 is horrible i've lost myself all confidence self esteem and no one told me this could happen

i would get 2nd opinion 3rd n 4th

Hurdity

Re: Oophorectomy and hysterectomy?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 03:04:55 PM »

Hi Luna79 - can you not try a contraceptive pill instead - which would suppress your cycle but then eliminate the need for a drastic operation? Or have you tried this already? Maybe this also depresses libido too?

I think continuous progesterone is generally depressing including libido but longer cycle limits the amount of oestrogen you can take due to bleeding. Are you feeling otherwise well on this regime? I think those who have had BSO often have difficulty in getting hormone levels right afterwards and esepcially due to the lack of androgens. Somehow replacement hormones don't replicate the hormonal mix in your body so well.

Hopefully others will be along. There is a thread sonewhere called Surgical menopause where women have reported their experences....

Hurdity x