Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HRT and risk of alzheimers  (Read 1622 times)

Beaker

HRT and risk of alzheimers
« on: February 09, 2020, 03:27:57 PM »

Hi all,

I am feeling anxious about the risk of Alzheimers with use of HRT.  From what I can work out, getting older is an independent risk factor for Alzheimers.  But the risk also seems to increase for older women who stay on HRT or who start HRT aged over 60.  It's hard to find any clear answers to this question.  I tried reducing my HRT dose but was hit with such an overwhelming wall of insomnia and hot flushes that I went straight back to the higher dose again.  What does anybody think?   

https://www.bmj.com/content/364/bmj.l665/rr-4

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT and risk of alzheimers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 03:46:07 PM »

Stick with what you know and ignore what 'might be'?   You may step under a bus tomorrow  ;) so why not opt for quality of Life? 

Countrygirl

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »

Beaker there was a piece (available online) in The Telegraph last month about menopause and dementia that was quite interesting and Dr Louise Newson commented in, it settled my mind as my dad has recently been diagnosed and I take hrt x

Dotty has kindly linked it on her post below x
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:02:37 PM by Countrygirl »

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 04:01:55 PM »

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 04:10:28 PM »

I read that poor quality of sleep increased your risk of alzheimers, so as i now sleep really well with the HRT calming my palpitations i shall continue taking it and not worry. If you believe what you read it seems that almost everything in life is a risk factor for dementia.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »

Years ago it was due to using aluminium saucepans  ::)

Beaker

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »

Wow thanks everyone. Very reassuring. I think my anxiety has gone through the roof since not being able to get my usual patches. The pharmacist shrugged and said the only HRT he could get was 1mg Progynova which is a bit of a drop from my usual Evorel 75. GP couldn't help so seeing consultant as not coping. So feeling better already from reading your replies! Thank you.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 09:23:55 PM »

CLKD...and red licorice and, oh no, CHOCOLATE.  Well guess what...I eat a ton of red licorice and my main staple is chocolate...who am I talking to again?  Is it 2017 yet?  All balderdash.

Beaker

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »

;D

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 10:00:06 PM »

My mother in law had alzheimers and my mother has mixed dementia and neither took HRT. As Stellajane said people live longer, both my grandmothers died in their sixties, although a great aunt lived to a very old age.

yellowflower

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »

I've known SO many people both male and female who've had dementia of some kind. I really don't imagine more than one or two would ever have taken HRT and then probably only for a short time as was the norm back in the day.

People are living longer and living longer alone, so dementia is more apparent - that's my main thought anyway.

I really wouldn't be anxious about taking HRT.

My mother is 88 and we had a discussion about dementia recently as both my MIL and FIL have alzheimers. Mum, on the other hand, is still as sharp as a tack. There does seem to be some family history when it comes to dementia. On my MIL's side, her mother and one of her sisters have it. My FIL got it from being a lifelong alcoholic. Mum told me that it was usually written off in the past as someone just going a bit potty with old age. In her opinion, the numbers of people being diagnosed is probably in line with the amount of elderly she remembers "going potty" when she was a younger woman. I think like most things now, the ability to diagnose and give a name to things is a lot better.

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 10:07:56 PM »

I too read that sleep was important in mending the brain.

Apparently, the blood drains from the brain and is replaced with cerebrospinal fluid which allows the cells to repair.  This happens in waves.  I imagine this happening this lying in bed - it is quite relaxing  :)

Both my grandmothers had dementia, and my mother died before she was old enough so I am probably doomed either way.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 10:12:37 PM »

Yes, i sometimes feel i am doomed, but my 85 year old father is still very with it, hoping i take after him!

dahliagirl

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 10:35:03 PM »

I had a great aunt who made it to 90 and was totally with it, so I hope - fingers crossed.  Other than that, little hope.

Both grandfathers had heart/stroke problems and died before 80 but both smoked a lot.  I have never smoked.

Beaker

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 05:56:11 AM »

I really just need to get my galloping anxiety under control  ::)
Pages: [1] 2