Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hi everyone looking for a bit of advice  (Read 1023 times)

Cookie46

Hi everyone looking for a bit of advice
« on: February 07, 2020, 07:32:57 PM »

I'm nearly 47 and started with symptoms about 3 years ago and blood tests confirmed start of menopause. I have decided to go on HRT as my hot flushes are relentless and wake me constantly during night every hour or so  (I was coping with this until about 2 month ago when insomnia was chucked in the mix ! :'( )   the gp advised lowest risk HRT as being the patches only then to tell me that these are currently unavailable due to shortages! So she suggested mirena coil and an oestrogen patch. Does anyone have any advice on these methods as I don't know anyone who is on HRT ! Many thanks  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi everyone looking for a bit of advice
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 07:43:40 PM »

Hi!  patches are a good way of delivering HRT but there ar4e shortages across the range of medications in the UK. 

Put mirena coil into the search box and see what pops up, make notes ;-)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:58:02 PM »

Hi CookieL

:welcomemm:

Your doc should not have needed to carry out blood tests to confirm menopause unless you have no womb or are on mini pill? If you are over 45 with cycle changes and menopause symptoms then you are deemed peri-menopausal if no other worrying symptoms that need investigation. How often were your periods ( if you had them?). Yes there are shortages of patches but it is possible to get them - you just need to get your GP to put a generic estradiol patch on your prescription at whatever dose she recommends. Then the pharmacist can give you what they can get. Alternatively find out at your local pharmacy which ones are available and then get your doc to prescribe these but it might be a different brand next time!

I've been on HRT patches for almost 13 years now.

Many women swear by the Mirena coil but I have no experience of it.  Hopefully someone else will be along at some point with more experience!

YOu will soon be on the road to getting rid of those beastly flushes and sweats and hopefully a better night's sleep! Let us know what you decide and how you get on :)

Hurdity x

Cookie46

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:05:54 PM »

Thank you so much for the advice! The gp did bloods 3 times every 6 months when I was 44, I wasn't on pill, periods about every 3 months only other symptom hot flushes which weren't constantly back then. At the time she recommended HRT because I was under 45.  As the flushes were coming and going I just thought would wait to see how bad it got . . . Which has now arrived!

I will do a bit research at the local pharmacies and see what they have!

Yes I can't wait for an unbroken night's sleep it's so frustrating!

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 09:16:56 PM »

So ask for a few sleeping pills from the GP to break the cycle?   Having them to hand might be enough to help you sleep well.

Let us know how you get on!