Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Meno and Hypothyroidism Compared  (Read 683 times)

Kathleen

Meno and Hypothyroidism Compared
« on: February 10, 2020, 05:33:41 PM »

Hello ladies

I've been reading my trusty meno book and noticing the similarity between menopause symptoms and thyroid disease.

I thought I would list them here so that it was easy to compare.

Meno Book Emotional Symptoms - mood changes and subtle sensations such as trembling, fluttering, unease and discomfort. Anxiety and panic arising with little provocation.

Meno Book. Range of Symptoms -  Anxiety, depressed mood, forgetfulness, insomnia, mood swings, palpitations.

Common emotional problems of thyroid  disease -  Anxiety, nervousness, butterflies, heart racing, trembling, sleep difficulties, irritability, depression, tearfulness, disturbed sleep, intellectual problems.

There is quite an overlap I think you'll agree. Obviously there are some problems that are specific to each condition, vaginal atrophy for instance is clearly due to low oestrogen. Nevertheless HRT would not resolve some of the above symptoms if they are infact the result of an undiagnosed thyroid problem.

Hope this helps in some way ladies.

Wishing you all well.

K.

Wrensong

Re: Meno and Hypothyroidism Compared
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 06:13:59 PM »

Nevertheless HRT would not resolve some of the above symptoms if they are infact the result of an undiagnosed thyroid problem.
Couldn't agree more Kathleen.  This is why it can be so distressing to read on here of women struggling with what's been categorised as borderline hypothyroidism i.e. at a stage their GP doesn't feel it appropriate to treat, despite symptoms suggesting they would benefit from a trial of Thyroxine.  Can be a difficult decision for a GP, especially as not all patients with antibodies will progress to thyroid failure.  NICE guidelines leave it at the GP's discretion for patients whose TSH is between 4 & 10.
Difficult for the patient too, whose confidence may be compromised by being under par & if depressed &/or foggy headed may not feel up to pushing for treatment.