Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: RCOG, BMS, FSRH statement on HRT and contraceptive supply  (Read 1010 times)

Hurdity

RCOG, BMS, FSRH statement on HRT and contraceptive supply
« on: February 07, 2020, 05:18:33 PM »

As above - the statement was released to today - some of you might have heard on the news this morning.

https://thebms.org.uk/2020/02/rcog-bms-fsrh-statement-on-hrt-and-contraceptive-supply/

At least the powers that be are still working hard to keep the pressure up.

Hurdity x

Ladybt28

Re: RCOG, BMS, FSRH statement on HRT and contraceptive supply
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 06:05:54 PM »

Has anyone hinted a definitive reply as to why there are these shortages and how it came to a tsunami all at once?

Rhiner

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 08:11:36 AM »

Thanks for posting Hurdity. It was interesting on BBC news last night that a man they interviewed outside the Commons last night (didn't catch who is was but not high profile), actually said that if it was men that were suffering, it would be sorted by now -interesting!!
Rhiner

Foxylady

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 07:09:54 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I'm hoping to get GP appt Monday (been trying most of last week) so popped into speak to pharmacist re what if any oestrogen patches are in stock as the gel (Oestrogel) is not working out for me (don't think I'm absorbing it have gradually increased since Dec to pump extra with little difference) from a practical application point of view I don't like it either, only changed as unable to get patches from Dec. Fingers crossed I'm able to get some suitable patch. x

Bobidy

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 01:42:31 AM »

Hi

I've increased from 3.5/4 pumps up to 7 over the last few weeks and feel so much better on that as all peri symptoms had returned. The jury is out as to whether the gel in the new bottle is weaker or my ovaries are conking out post hysterectomy.

Dr Newson advised the increase is totally safe as most younger women do need higher doses. Obviously check with your own gp though.

Unfortunately it means more flaming gel to rub in twice a day and going through bottles at the rate of knots!

Foxylady

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 06:31:57 PM »

Thanks Bobidy, although I request 2 pump packs at a time, GP only prescribing 1 which is frustrating. I'm glad you are feeling the benefits of increasing. It may be a combination of patch & gel will suite me, although patch itself would be preferable but obviously depends on dose. x

Bobidy

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 07:34:36 PM »

Hi

Yes, I'm going to try a patch and gel combo, then hopefully 1.5 patches (equivalent of 6 pumps of gel).

Patches should be more widely available this month so fingers crossed we can get them.

You could tell your dr you have had to increase to 4 pumps per day to keep debilitating symptoms at bay. They may only think these are hot flushes/night sweats so sometimes it's easier to say them instead of trying to get them to understand the rest of the symptoms. Then you should get at least 2 pumps per prescription.

It's a stupid situation to be in. Gps don't understand Menopause and hrt and we are stuck in a massive shortage of meds.

Foxylady

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 06:32:23 PM »

I got prescription for estradiol 100mg patches, pharmacy said they are due a delivery of them tomorrow so fingers crossed. x

Salad

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 11:50:07 PM »

I got prescription for estradiol 100mg patches, pharmacy said they are due a delivery of them tomorrow so fingers crossed. x

I collected my Estradot patches today  :)

Grumpymum

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 11:55:54 AM »

I collected my long awaited Estradot 75 patches yesterday. I see they were manufactured in USA and distributed by Novartis Australia - a well travelled patch! My previous ones were distributed by Novartis UK. What on earth is going on?! I'm just thankful I have some now so I can stop fretting for a few weeks.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »

Hmmm.... a sign of things to come with Brexit looming maybe - when the so-called trade agreements have been sorted (or not  ;D ). I think it's a question presumably of getting it from wherever you can - presumably Novartis themselves are obtaining extra stocks from their US manufacturing base or the Aus supplies?  Who knows? I expect it is formulated the same and will do the same job but maybe check the leaflet for ingredients? I would be pleased to get any Estradot!!!

Hurdity x

Foxylady

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 06:53:32 PM »

I got my Estraderm MX patches, but reading the info leaflet is confusing me as it says for post meno (I'm peri) but later on in leaflet it mentions when the best time to start in relation to when your period is, confusing!!